Using a new BioFoam material the TwisterCane is a comfortable, durable sleeping mat. Ideal for trekkers who need the reliability of closed cell foam.
Big Agnes says
TwisterCane™ BioFoam Sleeping Pads are engineered for ultralight backcountry summer trips to high alpine winter conditions. The closed-cell foam technology provides a firm, cushioned barrier between you and the ground; smooth on one side with a tire tread pattern on the other. Use alone or layer it with an air pad for added insulation. Made from sugarcane biomass in a process that removes carbon from the atmosphere and sourced using Proforest standards.
Big Agnes' TwisterCane Bio Foam Regular Sleeping Mat is a simple and highly effective closed cell foam mat that provides reliable insulation. The BioFoam material contains more than 60% sustainably grown sugarcane resin and is much more environmentally conscious which is always a huge plus.
The closed cell foam design provides a fail safe barrier giving you extra padding and warmth whatever surface you are camping on. The mat design feels surprisingly dense for foam which results in a really nice amount of cushioning and provides a decent amount of insulation. This mat is versatile enough to be used as a traditional mat inside a tent or as a protective layer under a bivy bag or even just as a mat to sit on. The durability has been impressive and it certainly hasn't squashed down like many other foam mats with the dimple design.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- More environmentally conscious material with unique EVA foam that contains more than 60% sustainably grown sugarcane resin.
- Sugarcane is a renewable raw material that contributes to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by CO2 capture.
- The sugarcane resin we source is derived from sugarcane grown and harvested following Proforest standards and audited by a third party
- Use alone, on top, or underneath an insulated air chamber pad for additional warmth and comfort
- Create a four-season system when paired with an insulated air chamber pad while sleeping on frozen ground or snow
- A comfortable backcountry mat on uneven ground, adding protection from dirt, wet grass, or snow
- Provides a firm, insulated barrier with closed-cell foam technology and balance between warmth and comfort with die-cut peaks and heat-trapping valleys
- More warmth and comfort with two foam layers of texture for option of dimples up or dimples down
- Light enough to carry anywhere and makes a great bleacher seat for spectator events
- Rolls tight to save space and weight
- Durable and long lasting
|Construction + Materials
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.
Help and advice: