With its accordion-style design and closed-cell foam construction the Z-Lite camping mat is an ounce-counter’s solution to comfort on-the-spot. It’s virtually indestructible and superlight making it ideal for backpacking.
A backpacking icon, the Original Z Lite closed-cell foam sleeping pad is ultralight, virtually indestructible, and highly compact. Molded into a system of heat-trapping dimples, the proprietary foams are softer on top of the pad for extra comfort and denser on the bottom for boosted durability. The accordion-style design allows for the Z Lite to be unfurled into a sleeping pad, folded into a convenient seat, or even used a mosquito swatter. With it‘s legendary versatility, there’s a reason so many packs on the trail have a Z Lite strapped on.
The classic Z-Lite from Thermarest takes the closed cell foam mat to the next stage moulded with an egg box surface it offers more comfort and insulation that conventional closed cell foam mats.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Extra Durable: Virtually indestructible, the proprietary closed-cell foam provides lasting, economical comfort.
- Compact Design: Folding design is compact and easy to pack.
- Layer It: Add 1.7 R-Value and protection from punctures when you layer the Z Lite under another sleeping pad.
- Endless Utility: Sleeping pad, sitting pad, mosquito swatter... Fold it and find your best uses!
- Regular Size: 51 x 183 x 2cm
- Weight: 390g
- Packed size: 51 x 13 x 14cm
- ASTM R-Value: 1.7*
- Fill material: Crosslinked Polyethylene
- Foam type: Molded closed cell
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.
Help and advice: