UOG TOP PICK - Hilleberg Soulo Tent - Hilleberg quality in a relatively lightweight package.
We've singled out Hilleberg's Soulo as one of our top recommendations because it is probably the best solo tent we have for the most challenging conditions you'll encounter. The design makes it the perfect UK 4 season go anywhere tent, ideal for winter trips to the Scottish Highlands.
The Soulo is one of the strongest all season, solo tents available. With a freestanding, three pole design and 12 guy points, this tent is ready for the worst conditions. With amazing build quality and unquestionable durability this is a top class tent. Good head height and decent vestibule space make it practical too.
(Unfortunately, we are only able to ship Hilleberg products within the UK & EU)
Since the Soulo’s free standing construction allows it to be pitched almost anywhere, and since it is remarkably light and tremendously strong, it is ideal for almost any adventure. During its development, nearly every tester found it perfect for whatever trip it was used on. Mountaineers, both recreational and professional, will take to its strength and low weight, as will backcountry hunters and winter campers. Bicycle, motorcycle and paddle tourers will choose it for its free standing simplicity and compact packed size. Backpackers in all seasons, long distance trekkers, and weekend hikers alike will be drawn to its light weight and integrated vestibule, and ski tourers and ski mountaineers will appreciate its snow load handling. Tall users will love its length, and all will appreciate its remarkable overall roominess.
Hilleberg's Soulo Tent is ready for the worst conditions you might encounter on a solo trip. The details in the design, materials used and quality of construction result in a fantastic tent. Hilleberg focus their designs on quality, durable tents that provide shelter from the worst conditions. They use a label system to differentiate their tents and intended uses. The Soulo falls into the Red Label category which are: ideal for trips in any season where lighter weight is the priority and are quite capable of standing up to challenging terrain and conditions.
With a genuinely freestanding, three pole setup the Soulo looks and feels strong enough to withstand anything. There can still be a bit of flapping in stronger winds but with practice and adjustments this can be minimised. That's not to say the tent doesn't cope well in wind, it does. With the three poles crossing over and 12 guy points this tent does not move. You can be confident of a strong safe shelter in very high winds. The first time I used this in strong winds (over 50mph) I was amazed by how little I felt it.
The all-in-one pitching makes it quick and easy to put up while the inner provides extra warmth and the vestibule is a good size for storing your pack, boots and any wet gear. The weight is going to put many people off but if you need an all season tent that stands up to winter conditions easily then ultra lightweight tents aren't going to be in the running anyway. There are ways to cut weight with the Soulo but since strength and durability are key points in the design you would be reducing these slightly to save that weight. This is the tent I use through winter and any times when I know the weather will be challenging and it has never let me down.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Kerlon 1200 outer tent fabric and 9mm poles make for a very lightweight yet supremely stable tent.
- All season construction: outer tent walls extend to the ground and mesh areas are backed with adjustable fabric panels.
- Dome construction with multiple pole crossing points provide outstanding snow-load handling capability.
- Plenty of room for one occupant and his or her gear.
- Linked but seperable inner and outer tent for simultaneous pitching.
- Fully free standing dome design requires no pegs for pitching, and the straightforward short sleeve and clip pole system make for quick, easy set up.
- The single entrance/single vestibule configuration affords easy access as well as storage space.
- An optional footprint covers the entire area of the outer tent, including the vestibules. It connects directly to the tent, and can be left attached during pitching.
- The inner tent can be replaced with a Mesh Inner tent (sold separately).
- The outer and inner tents can be used separately. Pitching the inner tent alone requires optional pole holders (sold separately).
- Flysheet & inner weighs: 1642g
- Poles weigh: 550g
- Total weight: 2192g (excludes pegs & bags)
- Pegs x12 weigh: 136g
Construction + Materials
- Inner tent area: 2.0 m2/21.5 ft2
- Vestibule area: 0.6 m2/6.4 ft2
- Fly fabric: Kerlon 1200, 30 D High Tenacity Ripstop Nylon 66
- Fly treatment: Coated on both sides with a total of 3 layers of 100% silicone, and treated for UV resistance during dyeing and coating
- Fly hydrostatic head: 5000 mm/49 kPa (ISO 811)
- Fly tear strength: min. 12 kg (ISO 13937-4)
- Inner tent fabric: 30 denier Ripstop Nylon
- Inner tent treatment: Durable Water Repellent (DWR)
- Floor fabric: 70 denier Nylon
- Floor treatment: Triple-coated Polyurethane
- Floor hydrostatic head: 15000 mm/147 kPa (ISO 811)
- Floor miscellaneous: Highly puncture & abrasion resistant
- Poles (9mm): 2 x 344, 1 x 285 cm / 2 x 135.4, 1 x 112.2 in
- Pegs: 12 V-Peg