UOG TOP PICK - Zoom UL Insulated Sleeping Mat The Zoom UL sleeping pad is a lightweight, warm, and comfortable option for side sleepers. It has a rectangular shape and is one of the most comfortable pads in its weight class. It is one of our top picks for sleeping pads.
Big Agnes says:
Designed for ultralight backcountry adventures, the Zoom UL Insulated eliminates the need to compromise between comfort and weight savings. With a generous 4.3 R-Value for three-season use, sustainably sourced materials, and aviation-grade lamination for ultimate reliability, the Zoom UL provides great sleep in the backcountry, at an incredibly low weight.
The sleeping pad is well-suited for side sleepers. It is 8cm thick in the middle, which provides excellent cushioning and keeps you off the ground. I slept very well on this mat; it’s probably the most comfortable pad I have used in its weight class.
The materials used are incredibly lightweight for a pad with a 4.3 R-value. The pad has a slight crinkle to it, but once it’s inflated, you won't notice it. One thing I’m not a fan of is that the pad only has one valve used for both inflation and deflation. This saves on weight, but I found the pad slow to deflate. I would have preferred a dedicated "dump port", but this doesn't detract from the matt overall.
The Zoom UL will keep you warm in winter, with an R-value of 4.3. The pad promises to keep you warm to at least freezing, but other factors, such as your sleeping system, will also affect your sleep. I would confidently use this pad year-round in the UK unless I were planning on summit camping in the depths of winter.
The pad is rectangular, which I prefer over pads that taper at the feet. I have found that my legs slip off narrower pads during the night, especially if I am using a quilt. A rectangular pad will add some weight, but I am happy to carry a few extra grams for a good night's sleep.
The Zoom UL sleeping pad is a lightweight, warm, and comfortable option for side sleepers. It has a rectangular shape and is one of the most comfortable pads in its weight class. It is one of our top picks for sleeping pads.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Patent pending internal construction minimizes weight and packed size while providing maximum stability and comfort
- Quieter material than other ultralight sleeping pads
- Aviation grade TPU lamination technology for ultimate dependability
- Antimicrobial treatment inside the pad prevents microorganism growth
- Individually inflated and tested at our factory ensuring 100% quality performance
- Weight: 536g (excludes storage bag)
- ASTM R-Value: 4.3
- Dimensions: 25" x 78" / 64 x 198 cm
- Thickness: Outer 3.5" / 9cm, Inner 3.25" / 8cm
- Rolled size: 4" x 9" / 10 x 23cm
Material & Construction
- GRS certified recycled 20D high tenacity nylon Mipan® regen robic
- Aviation-grade TPU lamination technology provides ultimate weld strength and durability
- 2 layers of heat reflective film
- Single Port, Dual Function Valve
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.