The Montbell Plasma 1000 Alpine Down Parka provides the ultimate warmth at an ultralight weight.
Made with some of the world's thinnest nylon, 1000 Fill Power EX Down, and gram-shaving design techniques, this pushes the limits of what it means to be ultralight. Perfect for people looking to travel lighter on winter outings and in the alpine.
Montbell's Plasma 1000 Alpine Down Parka is a top tier piece of kit. The jacket is aimed at the ultralight crowd in every aspect of its design.
The stitching pattern across the jacket, with its interconnected baffles, allows the 1000 fill power down to loft uninhibited providing the best warmth to weight ratio of any jacket I've ever tested. The fact that over 40% of the jackets weight is down is a testament to how well designed this jacket is.
Montbell have continued with their extra baffle along the back of the neck design which stops any cold draughts occurring down the back of the jacket like with many competitors. This combined with the adjustable hood and waist hem, really prevent any cold air getting inside this jacket.
The only downside to this jacket is that there are no inside pockets which are found on some of Montbell's other jackets.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
(Unfortunately, we are unable to ship MontBell products outside of the UK)
- Finest 1000 Fill Power EX Down provides an extreme warmth-to-weight ratio
- Unique "skip-stitch" quilting pattern reduces cold spots and minimizes heat loss
- Sewn Through Construction keeps down insulation in place while lightening the weight
- Downproofing helps keep down from escaping through the face fabric
- 2-Way Adjustable Hood offers a close-fit and visibility
- Zip End Guard protects your chin and face
- Elastic cuffs prevent cold air from entering
- Pocket Hem Adjuster allows for cinching the hem while helping keep out chill air
- 2 zippered hand pockets
- Stuff sack included
At Montbell, we source down from both the European and Asian markets to satisfy a variety of characteristics (supply/availability, low cost, consistent quality, humane practices, etc.) and maintain our lofty standards. Every season we seek to balance the superior quality for which we are known and the lowest possible raw materials cost. We change down sourcing companies frequently to insure that our customers have access to superior products at the lowest price possible. In the course of these efforts, Montbell never purchases down from operations that practice “live-plucking” methods. We only utilize down plumes and feathers collected as a by-product of water fowl raised to meet the demands of the food industry.
We will continue to look for sources of down that maximize value to our customers and allow Montbell products to perform at the highest level.
- Small (UK 10) weighs: 223g
- Medium (UK 12) weighs: 225g
- Large (UK 14) weighs: 244g
- Compressed size: 13 x 22 cm (5.1 x 8.5 in)
Material & Construction
- Fill weight: 84g
- Insulation: 1000 Fill Power EX Down
- Material: 7-denier Ballistic Airlight nylon ripstop (water repellent finish)