UOG TOP PICK - Ascendor Summit Hoody FZ A warm and breathable winter climbing and year-round alpinist mid-layer that provides more warmth and protection than your standard fleece. One of our top picks for winter
The ultimate fleece hoody for winter climbers with a low bulk waist for seamless harness fit and under helmet hood. Body mapped construction optimises warmth, weight and wicking, with added protection from windproof Pertex® Quantum Air overlays.
A warm and breathable winter climbing and year-round alpinist mid-layer that provides more warmth and protection than your standard fleece.
Ascendor Summit Hoody uses strategically body-mapped materials to create a protective and warm fleece that works well as an outer layer and a layering piece under a shell.
The upper torso, arms and hood of the Ascendor Summit utilise 20D Pertex Quantum Air, which protects from light rain and blocks out some wind. This is backed with a brushed mesh insulation, which is incredibly breathable and lightweight but also helps trap in hot air. The lower torso, under arms and back of the fleece do away with the Pertex Quantum in favour of Rab's famous thermal G stretch fleece. This makes the fleece incredibly breathable but also exceptionally warm and highly mobile.
The hood, cuffs, and hem are all elasticated, so you get a nice snug fit but no adjustment points to tailor the jacket's fit. The Ascendor has discrete, low-profile thumb holes, which I'm always a fan of, especially in a piece designed for climbing. The only gripe I have with the fleece is it has no hand-warming pockets. It has a chest pocket to keep valuables safe, but I like somewhere to warm my hands when I stop.
I found the sizing spot on, I'm a medium, and it fitted me perfectly. This is a warm fleece that you will get a lot of use out of from late autumn through to early spring. However, it will be too warm to use in the summer months.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Body mapped fabric positioning to better regulate body temperature optimal positioned for wind resistance
- 20D Pertex® Quantum Air lined with soft brushed fleece backer over upper torso, shoulders and upper arms
- Soft gridded fleece under helmet hood with Pertex® Quantum Air overlays on side of ears and chin
- Deep venting YKK® VISLON® centre front zip with full length wind resistant zip guard
- 1 YKK® zipped chest pocket with lightweight zip pull
- Flatlocked seams throughout for improved comfort
- Elasticated binding at the cuffs and hem for fit and comfort
- Dropped hem improves warmth on lower back
- Lightweight integrated thumb loops
- XSmall (UK 08) weighs: 255g
- Small (UK 10) weighs: 279g
- Medium (UK 12) weighs: 305g
- Large (UK 14) weighs: 318g
- Fit: Slim
Material & Construction
- Main Fabric: 20D Pertex® Quantum Air (47gsm) DWR (<1 cfm)
- Secondary Fabric: Thermic™ G (235gsm) Grid backer recycled polyester fleece
- Lining: Brushed back polyester knit (83gsm)
- Outer: 100% Polyamide, Acrylic coating. Outer 2: 96% Recycled Polyester, 4% Elastane Lining: 100% Polyester
- Centre back length (Size 10): 67cm / 26.4inch