EuroSchirm have combined the success of the Swing Backpack and the Hands Free Umbrellas in this version. It doesn't just protect you from the sun and rain but, thanks to the innovative rear canopy, your rucksack is also protected.
The Swing backpack handsfree is the ultimate umbrella for all outdoor enthusiasts and nature photographers who travel with a larger backpack and want to have both hands free when touring. When the special umbrella is opened, the canopy is automatically extended at the three rear segments, so that both the hiker and the backpack are perfectly protected from the rain. In addition, the shaft of the trekking umbrella can be extended steplessly and attached to any standard rucksack with a hip belt - or alternatively to our carrier strap system - very easily and quickly. This leaves both hands completely free, free to hold trekking poles, free to operate the GPS, or even to use the camera.
EuroSchirm's Swing Backpack Hands Free Umbrella combines the success of previous Swing Backpack and Hands Free versions. This umbrella is surprisingly strong, provides excellent coverage from the rain and sun, and is amazingly practical. The ability to connect it to your pack with the hands free attachment makes using it much easier, especially when walking with poles. Perfect for trekking in humid conditions where full coverage with clothing is uncomfortable.
The added bonus of the this umbrella is the extended canopy at the rear of the umbrella which also protects your backpack from the rain. You no no longer need to faff about with rucksack covers when heavens open. Thanks to the soft ergonomic handle the canopy always covers the rear.
Trekking umbrellas are often under-valued, they provide protection from rain without having to compromise breathability - leaving you dry and comfortable. Just about the only time they are a pain to use is in windy conditions.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Very robust shaft of glass fibres; highly elastic, nearly unbreakable glass fibre ribs; all frame parts are corrosion-proof and durable
- When opened, the three rear segments extend automatically. When the umbrella is closed, the canopy extension automatically folds back inwards and becomes invisible again.
- The shaft can be extended up to a length of max. 113 cm. By means of a small twisting movement it is infinitely adjustable in any desired position to the own body size
- With the included fastening clips, the shaft is simply attached to the left, right or diagonally to the shoulder straps of the backpack and aligned according to the direction from which the rain or sun comes.
- Fast drying canopy of extra lightweight polyester fabric
- The two small pouches also included in the scope of delivery are attached to the hip belt with hook and loop fastener. The umbrella handle is conveniently anchored in these small bags.
- Grip friendly hard foam handle with adjustable carrying strap for every hand size.
- The Swing backpack handsfree can also be used as an ordinary umbrella.
- The convenient protection case with net insertion provides optimal airing. The closed umbrella can be back carried comfortably thanks to the slip-free, adjustable and removable shoulder strap
- Umbrella weight: 458g (excludes storage bags + handsfree kit)
- Handsfree kit weight: 96g (excludes storage bag)
- Diameter cross: 109cm
- Diameter lengthwise: 120 cm (including extension)
- Length opened: 133cm
- Length closed: 77cm
- Achieved wind force (according to Beaufort scale): 12
- Number of ribs: 9 ribs
- Opening/closing mechanism: manual
- Frame: glass fibre
- Shaft: glass fibre
- Canopy: polyester
- Handle: hardfoam
- Umbrella top: hardfoam
- Two turnable fastening clips to attach the opened umbrella to the shoulder straps of the backpack
- Two pouches with hook and loop fastener for attaching the umbrella handle to the hip belt
- Protection case with net insertion as well as adjustable and removable shoulder strap
- Two elastic loops for attaching the closed umbrella to the outside of the backpack