The Patagonia Super Free Alpine Jacket is a hard-wearing, lightweight shell that utilises "ePE," a new membrane from Gore-Tex free of ePTFEs and PFCs. It's designed for "hard alpine-style climbs" and features a RECCO reflector, large hand pockets, an internal zipped pocket, mesh dump pockets, sizeable two-way pit zips, and a hood with an elasticated sleeve inside filled with synthetic insulation.
The Super Free Alpine Jacket is for climbers who need a technical shell for modern alpinism. With simple yet innovative details and cutting-edge 3-layer, PFC-free GORE-TEX fabric, this jacket keeps the storm on the outside and you calm on the inside. Made in a Fair Trade Certified™ factory.
For years, Patagonia’s Super Alpine Jacket has been a go-to winter climbing jacket for alpinists and mountaineers. This season Patagonia has introduced the Super Free Alpine Jacket, a hard-wearing, lightweight shell that utilises “ePE,” a new membrane from Gore-Tex free of ePTFEs and PFCs.
This is the first product I have used with this new membrane, which, according to Gore-tex, “maintains the high standards of waterproofing and breathability” found in their standard version but distinguishes itself by being lighter and more compact. The ePE membrane from my initial experience, is softer, thinner, and less crinkly than traditional Gore-tex. The membrane's standout feature is that it is free from ePTFEs and PFCs, chemicals that have been deemed persistent and, in many cases, damaging to the environment.
Patagonia’s Super Free Alpine is a jacket designed for “hard alpine-style climbs.” It features a RECCO reflector (RECCO reflectors are small, lightweight devices embedded in clothing and gear. They can be used to locate people buried in avalanches.) large hand pockets that are big enough to hold an OS map and are placed so that you can access them while wearing a harness. The jacket also has an internal zipped pocket that fits a phone, mesh dump pockets for drying out gloves and sizeable two-way pit zips that can be opened and closed with one hand.
For me, the most notable feature is the hood. It has an elasticated sleeve inside filled with synthetic insulation, which fits snugly around your face. This provides an extra layer of protection from sleet, snow, and wind from entering the jacket. It could be overkill for some and could result in overheating if used at lower temperatures; sadly, it can't be removed. The hood can be cinched with three points of adjustment, two around the face and one around the crown, and it has a stiffened peak to keep the rain out of your eyes.
Another feature I like is the cuffs, which also have an internal elasticated sleeve about 6 inches from the cuff, although they are not filled with synthetic insulation. This adds another barrier to protect from cold air entering the jacket and works well with any gloves you use.
I sized up in this jacket. I‘m 6 foot and relatively slim/average in build, but I wish I hadn't and have gone for the medium, as even with my additional layers on, the large still felt a little baggy, so I would say the jacket is true to size, with room for layers.
Overall, this is a dedicated winter climbing jacket that uses premium materials to deliver an exceptional product that the price reflects. It's overkill for 95% of outdoor enthusiasts. Still, for those who need a jacket capable of providing this level of protection and functionality, it's hard to find a better shell on the market.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
(Unfortunately, we are unable to ship Patagonia products outside of the European Area (defined as the European Economic Area plus Switzerland and the UK)
- Three-layer, waterproof/breathable GORE-TEX fabric is PFC-free and 100% recycled, providing next-level hard-shell technology that is lightweight, packable and durable; the shell is PFC-free—that means the fabric, membrane and finishes do not contain perfluorinated chemicals
- Helmet-compatible hood with a revolutionary, lightly insulated Storm Seal gasket that seals warmth in and keeps wind out; dual point adjusts with Cohaesive® cord locks
- Two extra-high, deep handwarmer pockets with watertight zippers stay clear of a harness or a pack waistbelt; zippered, interior left-chest pocket
- Watertight, two-way pit zips for venting
- Cuffs feature minimal self-fabric hook-and-loop closures and internal gaskets that keep sleeves in place when you’re swinging a tool
- Drop-tail hem with Clean Clip hip cutout to increase high-stepping mobility and reduce interference while clipping gear to a harness; Cohaesive® embedded cord-lock system has two contact points at hem for intuitive one-handed operation
- Concealed RECCO® reflector
- Made in a Fair Trade Certified™ factory, which means the people who made this product earned a premium for their labor
- Small weighs: 401g
- Medium weighs: 413g
- Large weighs: 442g
- XLarge weighs: 461g
Material & Construction
- PFC-free waterproof/breathable shell (fabric, membrane and finishes do not contain perfluorinated chemicals): 3-layer, 2.9-oz 40-denier 100% recycled nylon PFC-free GORE-TEX fabric with GORE® C-KNIT™ Backer Technology and a PFC-free DWR (durable water repellent) finish.
- Hood gasket insulation: 65-g PlumaFill 100% recycled polyester.
- Fabric is certified as bluesign® approved.
- Made in a Fair Trade Certified™ factory