Pairing essential three-season comfort with lightweight packability, the top-rated Therm-a-Rest ProLite Apex self-inflating sleeping pad offers top-rated performance for backpacking.
For lightweight self-inflating support, the ProLite Apex brings packable performance and legendary Therm-a-Rest support. The self-inflating foam measures 2 inches (5 cm) and features our StrataCore construction, a design that provides the best warmth to weight ratio of any self-inflating foam construction. The ProLite Apex 3.8 R-value allows adventurers to stave off the cold during three-season. The packable self-inflating pad features the high-performance WingLock valve, allowing the pad to inflate three times faster thanks to a larger opening and one-way inflation. Like all Therm-a-Rest pads, the Trail Pro is made in market to ensure quality and minimize environmental impact. The pad includes a compact stuff sack.
Therm-a-Rest's 2020 ProLite Apex Regular Wide Sleeping Mat is 'self inflating', that is, you open the valve and leave it to slowly suck air into it and inflate. You usually have to add a few breaths by mouth at the end and then close the valve... and sleep. This updated version comes with the new WingLock valve with easier one-way inflation and secure two step deflation. This mat self inflated quickly and the 5cm thickness combined with the internal foam gives a comfy and supportive mat.
Self inflating mats have foam sandwiched between two outer fabric layers. The high quality outer fabric is soft to the touch and tough at 50 denier. The foam inside is also high quality that will survive repeated compression cycles and the valve has been tried and tested over many years.
Self inflating mats are considered to be more durable than insulated air beds though not a slight and if you do get a puncture you still have a layer of foam to lie on - with airbeds you would have nothing. The stuff sack has compression straps to minimise pack size.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- StrataCore™ Construction: Yielding the best warmth-to-weight ratio of any self-inflating mattress, StrataCore uses a continuous layer of thermal foam nestled between alternating ridges of air and foam.
- Lightweight Comfort: Our warmest ProLite ever allows three-season adventuring without weighing down a pack.
- Rugged, Self-inflating Foam: Expanding foam core self-inflates; top off with just a few breaths for personalized firmness on 2 inches (5 cm) of StrataCore loft.
- Easily Fits In Your Pack: Packs down small to easily find a place in your pack during fast and light adventures.
- WingLock™ Valve: Our intuitive and dependable valve maximizes air flow for easier inflation and quicker deflation. Wings toggle for one-way inflation to save breath.
- Multiple Sizes: Offering a range of sizes, including a spacious regular wide, allows you to pick a length that best suits your adventure needs.
- Stuff sack included
- Weight: 774g (excludes storage bag)
- Dimensions: 64 x 183cm / 25 x 72in
- Thickness: 5cm / 2in
- Packed size: 33 x 18cm / 13 x 7in
- ASTM R-Value: 3.8
- Fabric: 50D Polyester
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.
Help and advice: