UOG TOP PICK - NeoAir XLite NXT: Its impressive R-value, minuscule weight and diminished decibels make the NeoAir XLite NXT a contender for the best mat on the market and one of our top picks
The most advanced all-season do-it-all ultralight air pad.
With improved warmth and comfort at no extra tax in weight, the NeoAir XLite NXT solidifies the legacy of its predecessor as the finest ultralight air sleeping pad for year-round backcountry adventures. By refining the way our cutting-edge construction technique, the Triangular Core Matrix™, integrates with the warmth radiating ThermaCapture™ technology we reduced the noise by 83% from the previous model. At 3-inches thick, with a horizontal baffled structure, the XLite NXT delivers maximum comfort and support at a minimal weight and packed size. Weighing just 12.5 oz (354 g)—in the Regular size—and providing a 4-season ready 4.5 R-value, the XLite NXT is the most versatile ultralight sleeping pad on the market ready to craft better nights under the stars wherever you end up.
I admit I had fallen out of love with Therm-a-rest as of late; the criticism that you were “sleeping on a crisp packet” was one we heard a lot, so I was excited when Therm-a-rest announced their new range of mats was five times quieter if a little dubious. I am pleased to say that they have succeeded in this task with flying colours. The difference is night and day.
This mat is the traditional body-mapped shape, though a larger rectangular mat is available. I'm a side sleeper and felt very comfortable and well-supported; it’s 7.63 cm thick, so you are well off the ground and well insulated.
The mat comes with its own pump sack; it took me over eight pumps of the bag to fully inflate it, which is more than other mats but a painless process.
The mat has a 4.5 R-value, so it’s a mat I would be happy to use all year round. A 4-season, long, mat weighing just over 500 grams is truly impressive.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Thermarest NeoAir XLite and XTherm Review - “Increased the comfort and thermal qualities making this the perfect option for lightweight wild-camping”
- Quieter: 5x quieter than previous model thanks to a refinement in how the ThermaCapture™
layer is integrated into the Triangular Core Matrix™.
- Premium Comfort: At 3 inches (7.6 cm) thick, it delivers exceptional support and comfort.
- Ultralight: 12.5 oz (354 g) drives pack weight down by minimizing the weight of an essential sleep system component.
- Ultra-packable: Packs as small as a conventional 1-liter bottle.
- Elite Warmth: Triangular Core Matrix construction delivers a 4.5 R-value and class-leading warmth-to-weight ratio, making the XLite NXT ready for three-season and some winter pursuits.
- Durability: 30D Ripstop Nylon offers greater protection from punctures than the competition.
- Easy Inflate and Deflate: WingLock™ valve is easy to use, feat
- Weight: 505g
- Dimensions: 64 x 196 cm (25 x 77 in)
- Thickness: 7.62 cm (3 in)
- R-Value: 4.5
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.
Material & Construction
- Triangular Core Matrix
- 30D Ripstop Nylon
- ThermaCapture™ layer