An incredibly light backpacking tent has a few home comforts while on the trail; this fast and lightweight shelter is incredibly easy to pitch and suitable for most 3 season activities.
For those in search of an ultralight shelter with greater volume, Hornet OSMO offers enviable living space and comfort without sacrificing its airy weight classification. Ranging in capacity from 1P to 3P, Hornet OSMO™ is made with the ultralight variation of our OSMO™ suite of fabrics, arming it with 3x less wet stretch and a level of water repellency that starts drier and stays drier than the rest. (Even better? With OSMO, we’ve cut out forever chemicals and carbon emissions along with any unnecessary weight.)
Keeping Hornet OSMO extra trim is a minimal pole structure that sets up lightning-quick and pairs with our volumizing Flybar™ and door clips to create generous internal space. Triangulated reflective guyouts and corner struts also increase volume at the foot and protect sleeping bags from tent wall condensation. An overhead Nightlight Pocket™, Gatekeeper™ one-handed tiebacks, and rectangular Divvy Cube™ stuff sack are new additions that add ease and creature comforts, not ounces. With the new Divvy Cube, this tent packs down small enough to fit in the bottom compartment of your pack —with a sleeping bag!
Both the 3-person and 2-person Hornet OSMO tents have two doors and two vestibules. The 3P weighs under three pounds, the 2P clocks in at only two pounds, and the 1-person is an airy 26 ounces.
Hornet OSMO 2P Tent is one of Nemo’s new tent range that utilises NEMO’s new OSMO™ fabric. This incredibly light material is made of a weave of robust, lightweight nylon and a dimensionally stable (doesn’t stretch) polyester; this holds up in the wind and rain incredibly well and is one of the tent’s most vital features.
The pole only connects to the ground at three points, which can make the tent unsteady in the wind, so this isn’t a tent you wish to be summit camping or pitching in exposed spots, that said the tent does handle the wind rather well, especially if you take advantage of the extra guy out points on the tent, though you need to attach these yourself, Nemo includes the guys and pegging loops but not the extra pegs you need.
The two-person tent is a good size; the “Fly bar” volumising clip adds some extra room in the tent, as does the guy outs that connect the inner to the outer rain fly; little touches like this make the tent a more excellent place to hang out. The Triangulated volumising guy-outs at the feet again improve the living space and protect the sleeping bag from condensation. If I were doing a solo multi-day trip, however, I would like the additional room just for myself; if you and a partner are planning a long backpacking trip, perhaps look at the three-person Hornet OSMO, as you get more space for not much more weight.
The tent packs down incredibly small, especially if you store the poles and tent body separately. A night light pocket (somewhere to stash your head torch) sits above your head, and the mesh diffuses the light giving everything a cosy glow. My favourite feature, one I now hope to see in all tents, not just ultralight ones, is the new gatekeeper door ties, a straightforward clip used to secure the door in place when not closed.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- High-performance, high-strength OSMO™ poly-nylon ripstop fabric has 4x better water repellency and 3x less stretch when wet. OSMO fabric is made from 100% recycled yarns that are PFAS-fr and meet flame retardancy standards without the use of added chemicals.
- Large doors and vestibules provide ample gear coverage for each person.
- Patent-pending Flybar™ volumizing pole clip adds more room at the head and distributes fly tension evenly. (3P does not include Flybar.)
- Volumizing guy-outs connect the inner tent to the rainfly, pulling the sidewalls of the inner tent outward to create more livable space.
- Single-handedly tie back the tent door with integrated Gatekeeper™ clips.
Included Accessories: stakes>guy-out cord>Nightlight Pocket>landing zone>Dry bag
- Flysheet weighs: 269g
- Inner tent weighs: 393g
- Poles weigh: 302g
- Total weight: 964g (excludes pegs & bags)
- Pegs x 8 weigh: 135g
- Sleeping Capacity: 2
- Packed Sized: 12.5 x 7.5 x 3.5 in / 32 x 19 x 8.5 cm
- Floor Dimensions: 85 x 51/42 in / 215 x 130/106 cm
- Floor Area: 27.3 sq ft / 2.5 sq m
- Vestibule Area: 7.1 sq ft + 7.1 sq ft / 0.7 sq m + 0.7 sq m
- Peak Height: 39 in / 98 cm
- Door QTY: 2
Material & Construction
- Pole Material: 1 Hubbed Aluminum DAC Featherlite® NSL 8.5mm pole
- Rainfly Material: OSMO Ripstop (1200 mm)
- Canopy Material: 15D Nylon Ripstop/ No-See-Um Mesh
- Floor Material: OSMO Ripstop (1500 mm)