The MSR Freelite 3 is a freestanding, lightweight and fully featured 3 season tent designed for backpackers and adventures who pursue all kinds of activities.
Designed to support a wide range of adventures, from backpacking to climbing to kayaking, the FreeLite™ 3 tent delivers full-featured comfort for three in an ultralight, highly packable design. The unified semi-freestanding frame sets up quickly, which is what you want after a long day of hiking alpine meadows in Glacier National Park, or bouldering with friends in Joshua Tree. The ventilating micromesh canopy and waterproof rainfly offer protection for all kinds of weather, and the large doors provide easy access to an interior that provides room for three, or generous space for two.
Whats great about the MSR Freelite Tents is that they are free standing, double wall tents that provides full protection without a big weight penalty and packs down small so it won't take up much room in your pack.
All FreeLite tents have been updated with MSR's strongest tent poles - Easton Syclone Poles. They are made from aerospace composite materials which resist breaking in fierce winds, boosting the reliability of your tent. The flysheet has also been treated with an ultra-durable waterproof coating called Xtreme Shield which lasts 3 times longer than standard coatings (check out the attached video).
Both of these updates are a huge welcome as the two small drawbacks we had with the previous models have now been solved.
When weight is a critical factor but livability also matters in your choice of a tent, MSR's ultralight FreeLite Tents are an ideal choice and a great option for a weekend backcountry trip or two-week thru-hike.
If you would like a footprint for this tent you will need the MSR Universal 3 Footprint (sold separately).
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
MSR's Xtreme Shield Fabric Coating
- Ultralight: Our lightest semi-freestanding, double-wall solo tent provides full protection without a big weight penalty.
- Easton® Syclone™ Poles: Made of aerospace composite materials, Syclone poles resist breaking in fierce winds, boosting the reliability of your tent.
- Easy Access: Large door offers access to spacious interior for comfort and convenience on longer backcountry trips.
- Ventilation: Micromesh canopy offers maximum ventilation, moisture control and bug-free protection.
|WARRANTY|||||This item comes with a product lifetime warranty. For more information see the MSR website.|
- Capacity: 3 person
- Floor & Vestibule area: 3.67 + 1.62 sq m (39.5 + 17.5 sq ft)
- Livable volume 1330 + 410 L (47 + 14.5 cu ft)
- Interior peak height: 1.0m (39in)
- Poles: 1 Easton Syclone
- Flysheet weighs: 496g
- Inner weighs: 498g
- Poles weigh: 374g
- Total weight: 1368g
- Pegs x10 weigh: 98g
- Flysheet: 15D Nylon Ripstop 1200mm Xtreme Shield polyurethane & silicone
- Inner Tent: 10D nylon micromesh
- Floor: 15D Ripstop Nylon 1200mm Xtreme Shield polyurethane & DWR
- MSR Needle Tent Stakes x10
- Suitable Footprint: MSR Universal 3 Footprint (sold separately)