The Akto is a name most people recognise instantly. A true example of a strong, durable, top quality solo tent. With quality design, material and construction you can trust the Akto to withstand the worst the weather throws at you and last for years. A great tent for solo expeditions all year round.
When we first introduced the Akto nearly 20 years ago, we did not know that it would become as popular as it has. Although only slightly heavier than a bivy bag, the Akto offers near-luxury, all-season shelter for the solo traveler – lodging that includes a vestibule and a packed size small enough to fit into a side pocket on many packs.
It’s an ideal choice any time you need the lightest weight, all season solo tent, and while it was not designed for extreme use, it has proven itself on extended polar expeditions, and so will stand up well to all conditions. Hikers, climbers, bicycle tourers and sea kayakers alike have embraced its lightweight roominess, and today it is being used in every clime, all over the world. Long distance backpackers especially appreciate having a sturdy, comfortable room of their own at the end of a long day on the trail. Trekkers find it excellent lightweight accommodation insurance for when traditional lodging in far flung places is overcrowded, overpriced, or unavailable. And tall users find it one of the few solo tents available that has enough room.
Hilleberg's Akto Tent is one of the most easily recognised and highly renowned solo shelters on the market. The details in the design, materials used and quality of construction result in a fantastic tent. Hilleberg focus their designs on quality, durable tents that provide shelter from the worst conditions. They use a label system to differentiate their tents and intended uses. The Akto falls into the Red Label category which are: ideal for trips in any season where lighter weight is the priority and are quite capable of standing up to challenging terrain and conditions.
The Akto does a great job of balancing strength and weight. It is heavier than many of our other solo tents but it is certainly designed to withstand a lot more too. With highly durable, top quality materials matched with proven construction this tent will last ages. After numerous outings in a wide range of conditions it still looks as good as new. The single pole design cuts down on weight while the inner staying attached makes pitching quick and easy. The tent has a good amount of head height, decent internal space and a pretty spacious vestibule. For balancing year round use, packed weight and strength you will be hard pushed to find a better tent.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
(Unfortunately, we are only able to ship Hilleberg products within the UK & EU)
- Kerlon 1200 outer tent fabric and 9mm poles make for a very lightweight yet supremely stable tent.
- All season construction: outer tent walls extend to the ground and mesh areas are backed with adjustable fabric panels.
- Tunnel construction offers maximum space to weight ratio and is the ideal choice for mobile journeys.
- Plenty of room for one occupant and his or her gear.
- Linked but seperable inner and outer tent for simultaneous pitching.
- Basic pitching requires only four pegs in the head and foot end guy lines, and the simple, single-opening, continuous pole sleeve and tensioner system is quick to pitch and remarkably stable. (note: pegging out the four corners provides optimal floor space, venting and overall tent function and is highly recommended.)
- The single entrance/single vestibule configuration affords easy access as well as storage space.
- An optional footprint covers the entire area of the outer tent, including the vestibules. It connects directly to the tent, and can be left attached during pitching.
- The inner tent can be replaced with a Mesh Inner tent (sold separately).
- The outer and inner tents can be used separately. Pitching the inner tent alone requires optional pole holders (sold separately).
- Flysheet & inner weighs: 1344g
- Poles weigh: 164g
- Total weight: 1508g (excluding pegs and bags)
- Pegs x10 weigh: 114g
Construction + Materials
- Inner tent area: 1.7 m2/18.3 ft2
- Vestibule area: 0.8 m2/8.6 ft2
- Fly fabric: Kerlon 1200, 30 D High Tenacity Ripstop Nylon 66
- Fly treatment: Coated on both sides with a total of 3 layers of 100% silicone, and treated for UV resistance during dyeing and coating
- Fly hydrostatic head: 5000 mm/49 kPa (ISO 811)
- Fly tear strength: min. 12 kg (ISO 13937-4)
- Inner tent fabric: 30 denier Ripstop Nylon
- Inner tent treatment: Durable Water Repellent (DWR)
- Floor fabric: 70 denier Nylon
- Floor treatment: Triple-coated Polyurethane
- Floor hydrostatic head: 15000 mm/147 kPa (ISO 811)
- Floor miscellaneous: Highly puncture & abrasion resistant
- Poles (9mm): 1 x 293 cm / 1 x 115.4 in
- Pegs: 10 V-Peg