Grivel's Air Tech Evolution Ice Axe is a classic winter mountaineering axe that won't let you down on the hill. Built to last and not too heavy.
The head, which is hot forged from a single piece of steel, has become an established alpine classic. The new G-Bone shaft’s gentle curve just below the head gives greater clearance and makes anchoring easier on any sort of terrain, whilst the lower straight part of the shaft will penetrate into snow with little effort. The most advanced axe technology, all in under 500 grams!
Range of use
- Scottish Winter Mountaineering: Whether you’re bagging a Munro or two or having a walk up a snow capped Kinder Scout, this section of the terrain guide covers all activities that involve walking in snowy mountains to help you choose the best crampons and axe to maximise your performance.
- Classic & Technical Alpinism: Involves a huge variety of different, conditions, angles and styles of climbing and because of this the choice of tools available in the Grivel collection is massive. You might need a very light axe for security on approaches to summer rock routes or you could need a pair of work horse tools for that dream north face route in winter whatever your requirements you will find the right tool for the job in this section.
Grivel's Air Tech Evolution Ice Axe is a classic winter mountaineering axe that won't let you down on the hill. The super strong G- Shaft has a slight curve giving greater clearance when swinging the axe into ice and snow. The adze and pick are a single hot forged piece of steel which will take anything you can throw at it for years to come.
There is a comfortable rubber grip on the base of the shaft which will be warmer than gripping metal and reduces the chance of you letting go. An all steel spike on the base of the shaft when plunging. The top of the axe is comfortable to hold.
The ice axe comes with a wrist leash which for me is of limited appeal for a mountaineering axe as you need to swap the hand you are holding the axe with.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- New G-Bone shaft's gentle curve gives greater clearance and makes anchoring easier on any sort of terrain
- Includes Long Leash with integral ferule spike protector
- Weight of 53cm length: 518g (including leash)
- Weight of 58cm length: 540g (including leash)
- Made from: Chromolly steel
- Hot forged: SI
- Blade: Classic Positive
- Shovel/Hammer: Shovel
- CE-Shaft: 2
- Grip: Rubber
- Shaft resistance: 400kg, T rated
- Range of use: Scottish Winter Mountaineering, Classic & Technical Alpinism
|You must be over 18 to purchase this item|
- Climbing ice, snow or rock can result in severe injury or death.
- Whoever uses GRIVEL products must be technically competent and possess appropriate precautionary know-how
- Each climber must personally assume responsability for risks resulting from improper use of GRIVEL products.
- The materials do not last forever. They will deteriorate with use and abuse.
- Check your tools before every use.
- Do not hesitate to replace worn or broken equipment.
Help & advice: