The Montbell Superior Down Round Neck Jacket is a lightweight, packable down jacket with a snap button front. It is a good choice for layering in cold weather. However, the snap buttons can be difficult to use with cold hands.
High-quality 800 fill power down and a lightweight, matte face fabric come with a collarless design to provide comfortable warmth while allowing for smooth and easy layering. Features a snap button front to minimize bulk and provide a soft touch while on the trail or in town.
Montbell's Superior Down Round Neck Jacket is a standout piece in a world where every mid-layer has a hood or overly bulky collars.
The Round Neck Jacket has been updated and tweaked a little; the face fabric has been updated to a 20-denier rip-stop nylon, making the jacket a little more durable.
The jacket packs down to a small size so it's the perfect layering piece for those days when it starts to get colder when you stop.
The snap button front is a welcomed change from having to do 3-4 full-length zips when out in wintry conditions, but it's not something I like personally, I would much prefer this jacket with a zip as doing any of the buttons with cold hands is hard enough, and with gloves, near impossible.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
(Unfortunately, we are unable to ship MontBell products outside of the UK)
- High-quality 800 Fill Power EX Down provides an excellent warmth-to-weight ratio
- Sewn Through Construction keeps down insulation in place while lightening the weight
- Specialized quilting pattern reduces cold spots and minimizes heat loss
- Downproofing helps keep down from escaping through the face fabric
- Round neck easily layers over other garments
- Snap button front minimizes weight and provides a soft touch
- Elastic cuffs prevent cold air from entering
- 2 unzippered hand pockets
- Stuff sack included
- Small weighs: 166g
- Medium weighs: 172g
- Large weighs: 186g
- XLarge weighs: 201g
- Compressed size: 11 x 16 cm
Material & Construction
- Fill weight: 37g
- Insulation: 800 Fill Power EX Down
- Material: 20-denier nylon ripstop (water repellent finish)
- Lining: 10-denier Ballistic Airlight nylon ripstop (water repellent finish)
At Montbell, we source down from both the European and Asian markets to satisfy a variety of characteristics (supply/availability, low cost, consistent quality, humane practices, etc.) and maintain our lofty standards. Every season we seek to balance the superior quality for which we are known and the lowest possible raw materials cost. We change down sourcing companies frequently to insure that our customers have access to superior products at the lowest price possible. In the course of these efforts, Montbell never purchases down from operations that practice “live-plucking” methods. We only utilize down plumes and feathers collected as a by-product of water fowl raised to meet the demands of the food industry.
We will continue to look for sources of down that maximize value to our customers and allow Montbell products to perform at the highest level.