The Down Hugger 650 has an innovative design that allows users to move around more with the super stretch material used. It's more affordable than the Down Hugger 800 due to the use of 650 down but has all the same tech! A practical, high quality sleeping bag at a more affordable price.
Lightweight and compact sleeping bag with 650FP down and Montbell's original Super Spiral-Stretch System. The DOWN HUGGER 650 #3 is well suited for camping in spring through fall.
By adopting a classic tailor's trick and paring it with durable, high value materials Montbell has brought extreme comfort to those passionate about outdoor recreation. We found that integrating a woven fabric "cut on the bias" and orienting the fabric's warp and weft threads at 45 degrees to most major seam lines the sleeping bag becomes more fluid in nature. To create an even more comfortable system we utilize an elasticized thread in the stitch to create small "gathers" in the quilting. Through the combination of strategic seam orientation and the stretch provided by gathered quilting we offer unrivaled fit and comfort. These innovations allow the sleeping bag to move with you as you change positions throughout the night, drawing the insulation closer to your body and eliminating drafty dead spaces. Keep body heat inside your sleeping bag, where it belongs.
Montbell's Down Hugger 650 Sleeping Bag #2 uses the spiral stretch system which allows you to move around in the bag more as the fabrics have enough stretch to make movement easier and less restrictive. Although the footbox did feel a little restrictive in terms of the general size, the rest of the bag did feel stretchy and more comfortable for it. The spiral baffles do a good job of keeping down in place and the simple feature set allows the overall weight to remain low at just 775g.
This #3 version is filled with 300g of 650FP Down which results in a -2°C Comfort Limit. It is quick to loft and feels warm as soon as you're in the bag. It uses a full length, sturdy zip so access is much easier than many other bags. The hood and collar can be cinched with one hand and the toggles are on the inside for easy of use. Overall, this bag looks great and performs really well.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
(Unfortunately, we are unable to ship MontBell products outside of the UK)
- Super Spiral Stretch System (inside, US. Patent NO. 7,900,301)
- Multi-tube construction
- Two way right or left hand mating zippers (67 in / 170 cm)
- Anti-snagging slider cover
- Hood Adjuster (Draw cord for face hole adjustment)
- Insulated Flap (covering the zipper to shut out cold air)
- Auto Locking Zipper (to limit zipper ”slip” during the night)
- Triangle Gusset (Reinforcement at the end of the zipper)
- Storage sack included
- EN13537:2012 Comfort: 3°C / 38°F
- EN13537:2012 Comfort Limit: -2°C / 28°F
- Weight: 775g (excludes storage bags)
- Fill weight: 300g of 650FP
- Max user height: 6 ft / 183 cm
- Internal Shoulder Girth: 59 - 76 in / 149 - 194 cm
- Internal Knee Girth: 48 - 63 in / 123 - 160 cm
- Compressed size: 15 x 30cm
Material & Construction
- Insulation: 650 Fill Power EX Down, Standard DWR treatment
- Shell & Lining: 30-denier Super Multi (multi-filament) polyester taffeta
- Zipper: Two way zipper (170cm)