UOG TOP PICK - Namche Gore-Tex Paclite Jacket If you are not sure what the weather has in store for you but don’t want to take the heavy-duty waterproofs, the Namche is a lightweight and packable “Just in case” solution. Durably waterproof, breathable and packable, one of our top picks
Durably waterproof, breathable and packable this shell jacket is perfect for hiking days when there’s chance of rain. Made from 100% recycled fabric and with a fluorocarbon-free DWR, it’s ideal to keep in the pack when the weather is unpredictable.
The Namche isn’t exactly an “all singing all dancing” shell, but it’s not a minimalist stripped-back jacket either; everything you would expect to find in a good quality rain shell is here, but not much else.
A step up in build quality over other 2.5 Layered jackets, the 75 Deniers outer shell is very heavy-duty and will brush off most abrasions, so this is a perfect jacket for scrambling. A jacket that weighs only 354 grams (for the medium) made from such rugged materials is hard to find.
The hood is two-way adjustable, and the rear single-handed adjustment is well-made and secure, so your hood won’t start blowing around in high winds. The jacket only has two hand-warming pockets; both backed with a stretchy mesh which helps ventilate heat and moisture.
It’s a no-frills jacket that fits well over a puffy but also feels nice next to the skin. I usually take a medium in a Rab; the Namche Gore-Tex Paclite Jacket was no exception; the jacket fitted well and allowed for plenty of movement and stretch without feeling restrictive.
It was described to me as an “everyday adventure jacket”, and that’s precisely what it is; it’s a jacket that’s up to the job for any 3-season adventure.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- 75D Recycled GORE-TEX PACLITE® 2.5-Layer construction waterproof technology with PFCec Free DWR (116gsm) HH: 28,000mm/RET: <6
- 2-way adjustable hood with concealed internal cord locks and single handed adjustment
- Flexible stiffened hood peak for increased weather protection
- Fleece lined chin guard for comfort
- Sleeve articulation for freedom of movement and arm lift
- YKK® AquaGuard® front zip with internal storm guard
- 2 YKK® AquaGuard® zipped mesh lined hand pockets also double as vents
- Anti-snag hook-and-loop adjustable cuffs
- Dual sided rear hem adjustment with single handed adjustment
- Small weighs: 337g
- Medium weighs: 343g
- Large weighs: 377g
- XLarge weighs: 394g
Material & Construction
- Embroidered Rab Logo
- Taped seams throughout for complete waterproof protection
- Main: 100% Recycled Polyester with ePTFE membrane
- Fit: Regular
- Centre back length (Size M): 74cm/29.1inch