UOG TOP PICK - Rab's Firewall Jacket - Excellent performance from Pertex Shield 3-Layer - We've singled out Rab's Firewall Jacket as one of our top recommendations. It combines the excellent Pertex Shield fabric with a great feature set, and although it has a helmet-compatible hood (which tends to be quite large) it nevertheless can be adjusted for efficient use when not wearing a helmet. The jacket also features pit zips, which some people like and some don't - we do, they allow excellent breathability and don't let rainwater in despite being a gaping hole in your jacket. An all-encompassing, reliable jacket, that you will get years of use out of
An updated classic, a hard-wearing, hard-working rain shell, you know you can rely on regardless of what the weather has in store for you.
A lightweight, versatile 3-layer Pertex® Shield hardshell. Waterproof and with a slight stretch, it has a helmet compatible, stowable hood, refined sleeve articulation and deep underarm vents, great for winter hillwalking and mountaineering.
I recently completed a coast-to-coast crossing of Scotland and knowing, the unpredictable nature of the Scottish weather, meant that I could definitely predict rain, So good waterproofs were at the top of my kit list. Rab’s Firewall jacket is an icon in the outdoor world, so I knew the updated Firewall would protect me from the worst of the Scottish weather.
This is a very protective outer shell that easily sheds the worst the weather can throw at you. The jacket is also very breathable and is capable of ventilating heat incredibly quickly, thanks to the pit-zips, so you are able to regulate your heat well.
The hood, which can be cinched right down to a very tailored fit, has a large wired peak that does an excellent job of keeping the rain out of your eyes, as a glasses wearer this is a huge win for me.
The 3 pockets are all of a generous size, but elongate up, into the garment rather than down so, if you are using a rucksack, as I was, or a climbing harness, you have full access to your pockets. It’s a really nice touch that you can tell someone put a lot of consideration into
The jacket is roomy enough (it can be cinched in in bad weather, it’s not going to be flapping about in the wind) to be incorporated into any layering system. This makes it pretty much suitable for any outdoor pursuits, at any time of year when rain is a possibility, so here in the UK, it’s getting year-round use.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- 2-way adjustable helmet compatible hood roll away with concealed internal cord locks and single handed adjustment
- Wired and stiffened peak for increased weather protection
- Sleeve articulation for freedom of movement and arm lift
- 3 external pockets (1x Napoleon/ 2x Hand) using YKK® AquaGuard Zips
- 2-way fully venting pit zips using YKK® Aquaguard Zips
- 2-way YKK® VISLON® centre front zip with lower snap fastener and fleece lined chin guard for comfort
- Extended cuffs with hook and loop adjustment for better fit
- Dual sided rear hem adjustment with single handed adjustment
- XSmall (UK 08) weighs: 440g
- Small (UK 10) weighs: 472g
- Medium (UK 12) weighs: 475g
- Large (UK 14) weighs: 501g
Material & Construction
- 30D Pertex® Shield 3-Layer construction waterproof technology with fluorocarbon free DWR (120gsm) HH: 20,000mm/MVTR: 20,000 g/m2/24hrs
- Main: 100% Polyamide face with Polyurethane membrane and 100% Polyamide backer.
- Fit: Regular
- Centre back length (Size 10): 73cm / 28.7inch