The Ultra 3R LW mat is a full 14cm longer and 13cm wider than the standard mat so this would be a good choice if you need that extra length, or width, or both. There are eight mats with the 'Ultra 3R' name. If your focus is on weight and pack size but you still want a definite 3 season mat then the Ultra 3R M series could be it, if you need an extra large one then here it is - at 561grams there are lighter options but few, if any, that are this big.
The Exped Ultra 3R LW is an ultra lightweight and compact sleeping mat featuring recycled 20 D ripstop face fabric, and certified carbon neutral by myclimate. Perfect for human powered adventures including backpacking, thru-hiking, bikepacking and alpinism.
SYNMAT TECHNOLOGY: 60 g/m2 Texpedloft insulation welded to the top and bottom of the air chambers ensures maximum warmth over the lifetime of the mat. 7 cm thick air cushion with Exped cradle comfort design: air chambers run head to toe, fully supporting the body for an unrivaled night's sleep and giving maximum durability.
Schnozzel Pumpbag included: rapid, moisture-free mat inflation: lung power not required!
Exped's Ultra 3R Sleeping Mats are intended for three season use and have an R-Value of 2.9, this is the most popular season rating for sleeping mats and so there are a wide range of sizes available, either Rectangular or Mummy shaped, then in Regular sizes, Longer versions and Wider versions. There are even two sizes of the 'couples' mat.
The Ultra 3R LW mat is a full 14cm longer than the standard mat and 13cm wider so this would be a good choice if you are taller than 6ft and want a luxurious amount of space. There are eight mats with the 'Ultra 3R' name.
The Ultra series are made using 20D face fabric which of course won't be as robust as heavier mats but in our experience its still good for the job, especially if it make the mat lighter.
What we really like about Exped mats are the easy to use non return valves and the superb Schnozzel Pumpsack which makes inflation of the mat simple - its the best inflation sack we've used by far and its big enough to act as a rucksack liner or a drybag.
The Ultra 3R mats are 7cm thick, which is standard and gives a good level of comfort, all have slightly thicker side rails which act to discourage you from rolling off the mats - packed sizes are very small too.
We also need to commend Exped for their environmental approach to the new range - Production is Carbon Neutral (by offsetting), the Face Fabrics are recycled and their factories are Bluesign approved. There is very little packaging and what there is is simply constructed from recycled card.
If your focus is on weight and pack size but you still want a definite 3 season mat then the Ultra 3R M series could be it, if you need an extra long one then here it is and it also happens to be extra wide too - at 561grams there are lighter options but few, if any, that are this big.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- RECYCLED 20D RIPSTOP POLYESTER: Recycled polyester keeps plastic out of landfills and uses less water, energy and carbon to produce. Our new ripstop fabric is two to three times stronger than our previous ultralight fabric.
- FLATVALVE: Pioneered by EXPED. Industry-leading durability, reliability and intuitive performance.
- SYNMAT TECHNOLOGY: 60 g/m2 Texpedloft insulation welded to the top and bottom of the air chambers ensures maximum warmth over the lifetime of the mat.
- COMFORT CRADLE: Air chambers run head-to-toe, fully supporting the body for an unrivaled night’s sleep and increased durability. EXPED’s exclusive Comfort Cradle side rails center and secure the sleeper on the mat.
- RECYCLED SCHNOZZEL PUMPBAG AND STUFFSACK INCLUDED: Rapid, moisture-free mat inflation: lung-power not required!
- Weight: 561g (excludes storage bag/pumpsack)
- Pumpsack weighs: 57g
- Dimensions: 197 x 65cm
- Thickness: 7cm
- Packed size: 32 x 14cm
- ASTM R-Value: 2.9
- Exped temp rating: -5°C
Material & Construction
- Recycled 20D ripstop polyester, Oeko-Tex® 100 certified
- Insulation: 60 g/m2 Texpedloft microfiber, bluesign® certified
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.