Exped's Ultra 1R M Mummy Sleeping Mat is the lightest airbed in Exped's refreshed range for 2022 and yet it's a standard size and thickness offering considerable comfort. Exped rate it as a Summer product but we think its use can be extended into three seasons for most destinations and most people.
The Exped Ultra 1R M Mummy an ultra lightweight and compact sleeping mat featuring recycled 20 D ripstop face fabric, and certified carbon neutral by myclimate. Perfect for human powered adventures including backpacking, thru-hiking, bikepacking and alpinism.
AIRMAT TECHNOLOGY™: Air-insulated for fast and light adventures in warmer temperatures. 7 cm thick air cushion with Exped cradle comfort design: air chambers run head to toe, fully supporting the body for an unrivalled night's sleep and giving maximum durability.
Schnozzel Pumpbag included: rapid, moisture-free mat inflation: lung power not required!
Exped's Ultra 1R M Mummy Sleeping Mat is the lightest airbed in Exped's refreshed range for 2022. The Ultra series are made using 20D face fabric which of course won't be as robust as heavier mats but in our experience its still good for the job, especially if it make the mat lighter.
There are four mats with the 'Ultra 1R' name and these are basically three different sizes, all share the same mummy shape and all have no insulation inside the mat - just the air used to blow it up. This has prompted Exped to classify the Ultra 1R mats as for 'Summer' use but we disagree, having used non-insulated airbeds across three seasons we think most people will be fine. Its one of those judgement calls.
What we really like about Exped mats are the easy to use non return valves and the superb Schnozzel Pumpsack which makes inflation of the mat simple - its the best inflation sack we've used by far and its big enough to act as a rucksack liner or a drybag.
The Ultra 1R mats are 7cm thick, which is standard and gives a good level of comfort - packed sizes are very small too.
We also need to commend Exped for their environmental approach to the new range - Production is Carbon Neutral (by offsetting), the Face Fabrics are recycled and their factories are Bluesign approved. There is very little packaging and what there is is simply constructed from recycled card.
If your focus is on weight and pack size but you still want a comfortable mat then the Ultra R1 would be a great choice, 316grams is an awesomely low weight.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- RECYCLED 20D RIPSTOP POLYESTER: Recycled polyester keeps plastic out of landfills and uses less water, energy and carbon to produce. Our new ripstop fabric is two to three times stronger than our previous ultralight fabric.
- FLATVALVE: Pioneered by EXPED. Industry-leading durability, reliability and intuitive performance.
- AIRMAT TECHNOLOGY™: Air-insulated for fast and light adventures in warmer temperatures.
- COMFORT CRADLE: Air chambers run head-to-toe, fully supporting the body for an unrivaled night’s sleep and increased durability. EXPED’s exclusive Comfort Cradle side rails center and secure the sleeper on the mat.
- RECYCLED SCHNOZZEL PUMPBAG AND STUFFSACK INCLUDED: Rapid, moisture-free mat inflation: lung-power not required!
- Weight: 316g (excludes storage bag/pumpsack)
- Pumpsack weighs: 57g
- Dimensions: 183 x 52cm
- Thickness: 7cm
- Packed size: 21 x 10cm
- ASTM R-Value: 1.3
- Exped temp rating: 10°C
Material & Construction
- Recycled 20D ripstop polyester, Oeko-Tex® 100 certified
- Insulation: Air
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.