UOG TOP PICK - Helinox Passport TL Trekking Poles - Best for Light but Strong - We've singled out Helinox Passport TL Trekking Poles as one of our top recommendations because through experience we have found them to be remarkably strong and yet they are among the lightest we sell.
Passport series poles provide the lowest weight and the most compact size for the wilderness, on trails and in the urban environment. Passport series poles are suited for moderate to arduous overnight or day trips.
The Tension Lock models 'new generation' walking poles are fixed length, ultra-lightweight, ultra-compact, strong and reliable. The TL poles (also known as 'trekking poles' or 'hiking poles') are suited for all general bushwalking. Poles are available in two sizes to suit people of height from 150 to 190 cm.
This radical step forward in walking pole technology achieves entirely new levels of lightweight strength, compactness, operating simplicity and economy - making walking poles considerably more 'user friendly' than ever before.
Sold as a pair.
I have been using these poles for some months now but never really got them tested on rough terrain where they jam into rocks and get serious strain on them. I was keen to take them with me to Patagonia because they pack very small and are so light and easy to use.
I have begun to love them! They put up with a lot of grief and didn´t fail, bend or worry me in any way. At this weight and pack size their competitors are the Black Diamond Ultra Distance and the Fizan Compacts. Both great poles, the Fizan Compacts are a good all-rounder at a great price, whereas the Black Diamond are very short pack size and best used as running poles rather than out and out trekkers where you will be putting some weight on them.
But I´ve managed to break a pair of both these poles on various trips under severe conditions! That's where the Helinox Passport stand out - they are a true trekking pole that manages to be very light, short pack size that have not let me down despite taking a beating. The trip included sections every bit as damaging to poles as my other trips and the Helinox Passports can through completely unscathed.
Aside from this obvious accolade the Passport poles have a nice `slim´ grip that works well. The hand loops adjust easily, which is not the same as some other poles where you sometimes struggle to slacken them off - in fact the adjustment may be a bít too easy as the straps loosen on a regular basis - however I find this fine because they can be adjusted back easily.
A great trekking pole that packs up really neatly.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
For a wider range of Helinox products visit our sister website Basecamp Gear
- Super strength of exclusive DAC TH72M alloy - the world’s best.
- Ultra lightweight for best performance.
- Simplest one press button operation.
- Quality foam grips with 'wicking' wrist straps.
- Solidly mounted tungsten carbide tips.
- Rubber tip covers supplied - suited for pavement use.
- Extremely compact for stowing - ideal for walkers who travel.
- The simplest, lightest and most compact walking pole.
- Tension lock (TL) mechanism secures 'folding' sections together
- Internal cord is tensioned as upper section is extended
- Single button lock secures cord tension
- Pole sections are physically 'stacked' in series for immense strength
- Button is depressed for instant tension release to fold and compact
- Helinox 5 year warranty
- Weight 115cm: 172g
- Weight 125cm: 178g
- 115cm pack size: 35cm
- 125cm pack size: 38cm
- Sold as a Pair