UOG TOP PICK - Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent - a good choice single skin trekking pole tent, many hundreds sold tested on countless trails.
The Lunar Solo is a fantastic and reliable light-weight shelter at a surprisingly amenable price. Getting the pitching right can be challenging for some.
Six Moon Designs says
The Lunar Solo is now constructed with 100% Silicone coated Polyester material reducing fabric stretch and packed volume. The Canopy is constructed from 20D material while the floor utilizes a more durable 40D weave. We have completely updated the vent and also use reflective material in the main and corner guy lines.
The Lunar Solo's distinctive low hexagonal shape easily spills the wind no matter the direction. Short, steeply sloped sides, handle snow or high winds with ease. A generous canopy covers a 26 sq. ft. sleeping area plus 8.5 sq. ft. of vestibule storage. The 49" peak height, set in the middle of the tent maximizes room for sitting and taking care of chores.
The sleeping area is a surrounded 6-inch deep bathtub floor, topped by 6 inches of mesh. This ensures excellent ventilation while keeping you separated from low canopy walls. This keeps you drier on those occasions when condensation forms on the canopy.
The vestibule is set on the long side of the tent to maximize views and ventilation when fully open. Close it and you've got phenomenal protection from the worst storms.
Like all our shelters it is designed to be pitched with adjustable trekking poles or with our fixed length aluminum or carbon fiber poles (sold separately).
Six Moon Design's Lunar Solo Tent is a superb light weight shelter with a small pack size that takes some practice to get the best out of it. For the weight the Lunar Solo is surprisingly spacious with a large entrance for easy entrance and exit.
The pegs and pole are not included with the tent. The Lunar Solo can be pitched with an adjustable trekking pole or with the Six Moon Designs pole. As most people use trekking poles anyway this is great way to save weight. As for pegs, this allows you to choose your own, whether you're after small and ultralight titanium pegs or large and strong steel pegs, your choice.
The hybrid single skin construction also saves weight. As with any single skin tent condensation can be an issue but the mesh inner and updated vent for the new version does help mitigate this issue.
The key to making Lunar Solo the sturdy shelter it can be is in the pitching. If you have no previous experience with trekking pole shelters you may have a steep learning curve. More so than other tents we recommend some practice pitching. See the review by Cairngorm Treks below for more advice on pitching.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
Help & advice:
- Full Vestibule provides protection while still maintaining good ventilation when closed. Fully open, the vestibule maximizes ventilation and view.
- Updated High Vent is made tougher and removes excess moisture build up.
- Zipper Vestibule Closure makes opening and closing the vestibule a snap.
- Easy Tensioning Adjustment makes keeping the tent taut a trivial task that can be accomplished while still in your sleeping bag. Re-tension straps have been added to all tie out points.
- Floating Canopy allows the canopy to be set to different heights.
- Floating Floor reduces floor stress and helps to minimize punctures from sharp objects.
- Optimized Sleeping Area is oriented to maximize usable space, ventilation, and view. A peak height of 48 inches gives you plenty of headroom.
- Center Pole Support significantly improves the ability of the tent to handle wind and snow loads.
- Single Hiking Pole Support reduces the amount of gear need.
- Internal Gear Area keeps your gear easily accessible.
- Oversized Screen Door allows easy entrance and exit while keeping the front pole out of your way.
- Ultra-light Waterproof Canopy is made from high strength 20 denier Silicone Polyester.
- Handy Mesh Cargo Pocket
- Extremely Easy Setup in less than two minutes under any conditions.
Do the Six Moon Designs tents and shelters come already seam sealed?
Six Moon Designs currently only offer non-seam sealed tents and tarps to their dealers. Due to the volume of seam sealing for their own direct orders this service is also not currently available for special orders either. SMD are hoping to be able to start offering this service to dealers again in the future.
If you want to seam seal your SMD tent, the product to use is Gear Aid Seam Grip Sil (also known as McNett Silnet but recently rebranded).
- Tent weighs: 732g (excludes bag)
- Storage bag weighs: 20g
- Season rating: 3
- Sleeps: 1+
- Comes with: Tent, Stuff sack, Guylines
- Pack size: 28cm x 11.5cm
- Required Pegs: 6 (not included)
- Colour: Green
- Usuage: Ultralight Backpacking
- Not seam sealed as standard
- Type: Single wall
- Frame: Single 49" pole (sold separately or use trekking pole)
- Side entry, single door
- Floor Space: 26 ft2 - 2.4 m2
- Vestibules: 1
- Vestibule size: 8.5 ft2 - .8 m2
- Flysheet: 20D Silicone Coated
- Floor 40D Silicone Coated Polyester
- Mesh: 20D Ultralight No-See-Um
- Zip: #3 YKK
Notes: Pegs and pole are not included.