UOG TOP PICK - Lightning 60 Rucksack The hugely popular Lightning Pack from Exped has seen a significant update with new materials resulting in a lighter, tougher and more comfortable design. The adjustable nature and minimalist design has been retained and this version will undoubtedly be just as popular, one of our Top Picks
The Lightning is made for fast and light trips with its superb volume to weight ratio. A roll-top closure combined with full pack bag compression offer variable capacity. The unique T-Rex suspension system with a single central aluminum stay and direct attachment to the hip belt ensures mobility in every axis for hips and torso. Numerous functional details round off the feature set of the Lightning while respecting its clean design. Stepless height adjustable for torso length tuning.
Exped's 2020 Lightning 60 Rucksack has received a serious update. The updates to this version of the Lightning look to be really successful with many of the original features that made it popular kept and improvements to weight, durability and comfort. The look of the pack has changed with a slick, modern style now evident. The fabrics used are more environmentally friendly, more waterproof and more durable so there's not much else they could improve in this regard!
The classic roll-top is still there and this is where the Lightning is able to save weight and keep the minimalist feel of the design. This weight saving is sacrifices ease of access in my opinion making it slightly harder to get in and out of it than other packs. Without a lid (and the usual range of pockets on it) its not as easy keeping organised, but by using different dry bags and pouches this is easily overcome. The compression straps are great for varied loads and versatility where other packs can feel too big when heading out for shorter trips where less gear is required.
One issue with both the Lightning and Thunder packs was often the comfort around the lumbar support. It simply didn't suit many people but the additional padding and improved, stronger aluminium frame are much more comfortable under heavy loads and for extended trips. Personally, this is the most important change as I always steered away from the old versions due to the comfort but I'm now using this pack regularly.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Exped Lightning 60 Rucksack Review - “This really is a tough piece of kit with a low weight of just above 1kg for a 60-litre pack”
- Updated version made even lighter, tougher and more comfortable
- Lighter: narrower webbing and improved construction
- Tougher: abrasion resistant 630 D nylon fabric base
- More comfort: more padding and stronger aluminium stay
- Very light top-loader with roll-top closure
- Sophisticated suspension system with easy length adjustment
- Minimal back contact points for good venting
- Excellent load transfer over central aluminium stay anchored to the hipbelt
- Stretch pockets on sides and hipbelt
- Full pack body compression system
- Weight: 1180g
- Capacity: 60 Liters
- Dimensions: 75 x 34 x 27cm
- Load limit: 24kg
- Back length range: 41-58cm
Material & Construction
- 210 D HMPE ripstop nylon, PU coated, 1500 mm water column, Oeko-Tex 100 certified, DWR C6
- Frame: 6061-T6 series aluminium stay