The hybrid design of the Flyer combines the plush comfort of an air mat with the durability of a foam mat. Weight and packsize have been dramatically reduced with new techniques resulting in an impressive sleeping mat.
A radical new hybrid design in sleeping pads, the Flyer™ combines the thickness of an air pad with the plush durability of a foam pad — and with minimal weight consequences.
Flyer™ is the first pad to use a completely new manufacturing approach that removes 60% of the foam yet tremendously increases thickness and plushness when inflated, producing a 3D sculpted topology for a faster recovery after a hard day on the mountain.
Nemo's Flyer Long Wide Sleeping Mat delivers the best of both worlds with foam and air pads. It is deep and dense enough for side sleeping. The grippy silicone patches on the bottom prevent the pad from slipping and sliding around on your tent floor when you move during the night. There is a slight weight penalty for the addition of the insulating foam but this is made up with this being a much better value and more durable option than air-based models.
The Flyer range does pack down surprisingly small if you are determined enough, but it can and will go back into the provided stuff sack with the help of a Velcro ‘belt’. With an R rating of 3.3 it stacks up well to the Tensor Insulated range which has an R rating of 3.4 making it a viable option for 3 season use.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Plush open-cell foam offers a second level of security on the trail.
- New technology allows for the first self-inflated pad to use 3D-sculpting.
- Horizontal coring retains a higher R-value with less foam, so you don’t have to sacrifice weight or packed size for warmth.
- Unique manufacturing approach removes 60% of foam yet increases thickness by 290% when inflated.
- Ultralight 20D soft-touch fabric set is more pliable and comfortable than competitors.
- Zero-profile, multi-functional, micro-adjustable valve for fine tuning and fast inflation/deflation.
- Weight: 838g (excludes storage bag)
- Dimensions: 76 x 25 in / 193 x 64 cm
- Thickness: 2 in / 5cm
- Packed size: 12.0 x 8.0 in dia / 30 x 20 cm dia
- Temp rating: 5 to 15F / -15 to -9C
- Fabric: 20D PU Polyester
- Insulation: Open cell foam
- ASTM R-Value: 3.3
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.