The Ultralight Self inflating mat offers warmth and comfort in a light and small package with the convenience of self inflation.
Sea to Summit says
Light and packable for minimalist fast hikes, the Ultralight Self-Inflating mats come in at 1 inch thick with the regular size weighing just over 1 pound. We keep the weight down by using a 30-D polyester and our Delta Core-V vertical coring which keeps body contact areas warmer while still offering great support and packability.
Sea to Summit's UltraLight Self Inflating Mat does exactly that, as is, you open the valve and leave it to slowly suck air into it and inflate. You usually have to add a few breaths by mouth at the end and then close the valve...and sleep.
Self inflating mats have foam sandwiched between two outer fabric layers. The fabric is soft to the touch and tough at 30 denier, the foam inside is also high quality that will survive repeated compression cycles. The anti slip coating on the underneath will stop the mat sliding around your tent. The multi function valve is an excellent feature enabling to quickly switch from self inflation, one way inflation and deflation.
Whilst not being as comfortable as insulated airbeds self inflating mats are considered to be more durable - and if you do get a puncture you still have a layer of foam to lie on - with airbeds you would have nothing. The compression sack has daisy chains sewn on enabling you to attach it to the outside of your rucksack if required.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Multi-function, high flow-rate valve
- Anti-slip print on top and base, helps hold mat in place when camping on sloping ground is unavoidable
- Made from lightweight 30D polyester with extrusion laminated TPU
- PillowLock attaches your Aeros pillow to your mat, holding it in place for a slip-free sleep
- Utilises Delta Core-V technology, which keeps body contact areas warmer while still offering great support and packability
- Multi-function, patent-pending multi-function valve twists over to allow the mat to be rolled tightly without fighting re-inflation as you go
- At 1 inch thick and an equivalent R-Value of 0.46, the Ultralight SI Mat delivers a great weight to warmth ratio for minimalist hikers
- Weighs: 504g (excluding storage bag)
- Dimensions: 170 x 51 x 2.5cm
- Packed Size: 12 x 26cm
- ASTM R-Value: 2.6
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.