UOG TOP PICK - Osprey Exos rucksacks - newly updated and the hipbelt pockets are back! The previous model was let down only by that big omission. It’s now firmly back in our Top Picks list due to being great value, comfortable and ideal for slightly heavier base weights.
The Exos is a great backpacking rucksack that has all the features you would expect to see on a technical backpacking rucksack double its weight. It has a rigid harness with a substantial airflow gap and its weight can be stripped a further 120grams.
When every ounce matters but you still need a backpack that's more than just a sack with shoulder straps, the Exos makes for an excellent ultralight companion. The Exos 58, made with 100% recycled materials, is perfect for those more committing trips when resupply is few and far between. Highly experienced backpackers will appreciate industry-leading comfort and ventilation—without the weight it often adds—making it the perfect pack for committing through-hikes and ultralights. Need to slim things down even further? Remove the floating lid and use the integrated FlapJacket to protect your gear inside. Plus, our refined AirSpeed suspension keeps you cool with maximum airflow between you and your pack, so each mile stays as comfortable as the last.
Osprey's 2022 Exos 58 RucksackRucksack has always been the lightweight workhorse of the Osprey range and one of their bestsellers, yet over recent years successive refinements have made it ever lighter while still retaining the rich feature set of the original packs. We love it and believe it now fits the ultralight profile - obviously not the absolute lightest pack - but it must be just about lightest in class for a rigidly framed adjustable pack with a very comfortable harness system.
We weighed the 48Litre pack in at 1296grams but you can reduce this by 120grams by leaving the lid at home, Osprey expect some people to do this so they've built in a waterproof flap to cover the pack opening when this lid is left off. If you do keep it though you gain two useful pockets for keeping gear organised.
I'm not going to reel off the feature list, just tell you the ones I like, the hipbelt pockets are both zipped and are really quite big, the flaps of the hipbelt are also very wide and due to there being minimal padding they grip the hips well, this is the perfect setup for ultralight backpacking up to perhaps 30lbs (14kgs) or so.
The side mesh pockets have a top opening and a front facing opening so they are accessible while you are wearing the pack without you having to dislocate your elbow. The base is made from more durable fabric, a design detail often overlooked by ultralight pack designers.
We also love the clearance of the vented back panel, it's not simply a half hearted attempt to get some airflow round there it's a substantial gap that will make a real difference.
The Exos is a great backpacking rucksack that has all the features you would expect to see on a technical pack double its weight
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Top pocket web loop attachment points
- Removable floating lid with top- and under-lid zipped pockets
- Integrated FlapJacket cover for lidless use
- Internal hydration sleeve with center back hose port
- Front stretch mesh pocket for stashing gear
- Dual-access stretch mesh side pockets
- Dual strippable side compression straps
- Web lash points for attaching overloads
- Removable sleeping pad straps
- Dual ice axe loops with bungee tie-off
- Dual zipped hipbelt pockets to keep essentials handy
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment
- Sternum strap with integrated safety whistle
- Weight: 1298g - can be redued to 1178g by removing the lid and using the waterproof flap.
- Litres: 58
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 77 x 37 x 33cm
- Fit range minimum: 43cm
- Fit range maximum: 52cm
- Weight: 1357g - can be redued to 1237g by removing the lid and using the waterproof flap.
- Litres: 61
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 82 x 37 x 33cm
- Fit range minimum: 49cm
- Fit range maximum: 59cm
- Main fabric: 100D High Tenacity Nylon Ripstop Recy BSAPP C0
- Accent Fabric: 400D High Tenacity Nylon Recycled BSAPP C0
Help and advice: