Robust and hard-wearing, these four-season trekking poles have been engineered for deep winter trailblazing and multi-day hikes. They even have an on-the-fly maintenance tool attached.
Black Diamond says:
Packed with comfort-focused features like ergonomic cork grips and Bloom grip extensions, plus our highly packable Z-pole collapsible system, the Pursuit FLZ is a premium pole option for any hiker. BD proprietary grip geometry and shape, with two grip sizes optimized for larger and smaller hands, make for more comfortable hand positions as well as reduces hand fatigue. Natural cork grips manage moisture while extensions – made from Bloom, an algae infused foam – provide additional hand positions on steep ascents. Solution 2.0 wrist straps are made from post-consumer recycled fibers. Other features include a thoughtfully-designed soft-touch FlickLock+ for quick and easy adjustments.
These poles are very hard-wearing, I've been using them on some pretty challenging terrains, and they have held up brilliantly. These z-pole style poles make them very packable, sliding into my water bottle pocket with no problems; one of my favourite things about them is that I can fold them up and stash them without taking my pack off.
The FL in FLZ stand for flick lock, so although these poles are z-pole, traditionally fixed in length, these are adjustable (which I need as my shelter uses poles for support). You have an additional 15cm of adjustment. The flick lock is very secure. However, should your lock start to slip, a tiny Allen key is located inside the top section of the trekking pole, so you can tighten and adjust your lock on the trail.
The cork handles are comfortable in your hands day-in-and-day-out; after two weeks of use (I took them on a coast-to-coast trip), I didn't suffer any blisters. I use hiking poles everytime I go hiking, especially with a heavy backpack. I never use the straps as they tend to irritate me. However, I found these comfortable and would ensure I put them on, especially when descending; they were supportive and comfortable.
They came attached with small tracking pole baskets that just about stop them from sliding into very narrow crevasses; they also come with large snow baskets, which I haven't had the chance to try.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Black Diamond Pursuit FLZ Trekking Poles Review - "Versatile, packable and have even given consideration to on trial maintenance''
- 7000 series Aluminum shafts
- Ergonomic grip and grip top designed to improve comfort and reduce hand fatigue
- Grip extensions made from Bloom, an algae infused foam, for additional hand positions
- Natural cork grips provide comfort and manage moisture
- Solution 2.0 wrist straps made from post-consumer recycled fibers
- Z-Pole collapsible system for easy stowage
- Soft-touch FlickLock+ makes for quick and easy adjustments
- 4-Season fl ex tips with trekking baskets (snow baskets included)
- Interchangeable carbide tech tip
- 1.5 mm hex bit tool built into shaft for in-field maintenance
- Unisex usable length of 110-125cm with a S/M grip size
- Unisex usable length of 125-140cm with a M/L grip size
- Weight (per pole): 256g
- Usable length: 110-125cm / 43.4-49.2in
- Collpased length: 36.8cm / 14.5in
- Pole grip height: 102mm
- Pole grip diameter: 32mm
- Weight (per pole): 266g
- Usable length: 125-140cm / 49.2-55.1in
- Collpased length: 42.6cm / 16.8in
- Pole grip height: 115mm
- Pole grip diameter: 37mm
Material & Construction
- 7000 series Aluminum shafts
- Bloom, an algae infused foam grip extension
- Natural cork grips