UOG TOP PICK - Thermarest's XLite Series Sleeping Mats - Best for low weight and packsize without compromising comfort - We've singled out Thermarest's XLite series of Sleeping Mats as one of our top recommendations because they deliver the one of the lightest weights and smallest packed sizes yet are among the most comfortable mats available with a decent warmth rating (R-Value).
The gold standard for ultralight backpacking mattresses, the top-rated Therm-a-Rest Women’s NeoAir XLite sleeping pad has added warmth for cold sleepers while camping in three-season or cold-weather conditions.
For a warmer pad in a shorter length, the Women’s NeoAir XLite sleeping pad. The unrivaled Triangular Core Matrix offers the best warmth-to-weight ratio of any air sleeping pad construction. The construction gives the 2.5 inch (6.4 cm) thick pad superior stability, boasting the most inches of weld for maximum camp comfort. The compact pad boasts a 5.4 R-value, allowing users to camp in all but the most extreme conditions. The Women’s XLite features the high-performance WingLock valve, allowing the pad to inflate three times faster thanks to a larger opening and one-way inflation. Like all Therm-a-Rest pads, the Women’s NeoAir XLite is made in market to ensure quality and minimize environmental impact. The pad includes a breath-saving pump sack, compact stuff sack and field repair kit.
Therm-a-Rest's Womens 2020 NeoAir XLite Sleeping Mat is still one of the lightest airbeds on the market and it builds on the performance of the previous mats. This updated version comes with the new WingLock valve with easier one-way inflation and secure two step deflation.
Insulated airbeds offer a great combination of comfort low weight and small pack size - in many ways they are now the ideal sleeping mat. Some people however prefer self inflating mats because if their mat develops a leak there is still a piece of foam to lie on if your airbed develops a leak you have nothing. Other people find they sometimes roll off an airbed and prefer a thinner mat between them and the ground.
The lightest of the Thermarest NeoAir mats use very light fabrics which have been reported to make a `crinkle` sound as you move around on them - they are likened to sleeping on a crisp packet - my experience is that this is minimal - after using a NeoAir for a couple of years I didn't realise it crinkled until someone pointed it out to me! Now I know - I still don`t notice it when kipping down.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Women’s Version: Designed in a smaller size with a higher R-value for cold sleepers.
- Ultralight: Advanced fabrics and a tapered design provide lightweight comfort and warmth without bulk.
- Warm: Patent-pending, reflective ThermaCapture™ technology traps radiant heat while Triangular Core Matrix™ construction minimizes convective heat loss–all without the bulk, weight or durability issues of down and synthetic fills.
- Comfortable: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm) of thickness and baffled internal structure provide unrivaled stability and support.
- Ultra-Packable: Low-bulk materials make the XLite mattress as packable as a water bottle.
- WingLock™ Valve: Our intuitive and dependable valve maximizes air flow for easier inflation and quicker deflation. Wings toggle for one-way inflation to save breath.
- Pump sack, stuff sack and repair kit included
- Weight: 340g (excludes storage bag)
- Dimensions: 51 x 168cm / 20 x 66in
- Thickness: 6.4cm / 2.5in
- Packed size: 23 x 10cm / 9 x 4in
- R-Value: 5.4
- Fabric: 30D HT Nylon/30D HT Nylon
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.
Help and advice: