Mountain Equipment's Vega Down Jacket is a great choice for uncompromisingly fast and light mountaineering goals. A leading light in modern alpinism with a great warmth to weight ratio.
Mountain Equipment says:
A lightweight and water resistant down jacket: perfect for fast and light winter sports when not being burdened by a heavy load is a primary concern. Designed around a tailored active alpine cut and a grown on Half Dome hood to give complete upper body insulation.
Mountain Equipment's Vega Down Jacket is the ultimate compromise between protection, warmth and weight. Designed for mountaineering, it's very light and filled with enough down to keep you warm at temperatures down to around -10 degrees. The down is protected with a DRILITE 30D outer that will stand up to wind and light rain or snow.
The helmet compatible hood is not an uncommon feature on jackets like this, however this is one of the few hoods that we feel actually fits comfortably on your head, even when not wearing a helmet. No huge gaps left where the cold can get in and you can tuen your head and see more than just the inside of your hood. This is down to the elasticastion inside the hood which pulls in snugly around your head, along with the drawcord around the face. Overall better fitting than most helmet compatible hoods.
The Vega Jacket also features optimised down distribution, meaning they have put a higher density of down in selected baffles like the elbows, this will eliminate down movement when you bend and flex your elbows, overall keeping you warmer.
With Mountain Equipment you can be sure that the down in your jacket is ethically sourced, you can see incredible detail about the down in the jacket you receive with the 'Down Codex'. This is a database which shows where the down in your jacket came from, exactly what fill power it is and more.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- DRILITE® Loft 30D outer fabric; totally windproof and highly water resistant
- 235g (Size L) of Goose Down with a minimum content of 90/10 800 fill power
- Stitched-through baffle construction throughout
- Optimised down distribution and fill weights using a baffle-by-baffle approach
- Half Dome HC hood with EXL® lining
- 2-way YKK® moulded centre front zip with offset insulated rear baffle
- 2 zipped hand warmer pockets with moulded zips
- DRILITE® Loft 30D inner hem and hood lining Adjustable cuffs and dual tether hem drawcords
- Small weighs: 568g
- Medium weighs: 588g
- Large weighs: 634g
- XLarge weighs: 668g
- 235g (Size L) of 800+ Fill Power Goose Down: Our very best Eastern European goose down. Sourced from Western Russia, with an actual minimum down cluster content of 93%* & individually tested to ensure a minimum fill power of 800 cubic inches & DOWN Codex approved
- Drilite Loft: Exceptionally light, highly breathable and water resistant shell fabric used to protect down inside sleeping bags and clothing
Help & advise: