Exped's Synmat mats are made from robust face fabrics and have an integrated pump. Synthetic insulation inside the baffles make these mats suitable for all but the most extreme conditions.
The SynMat 7 does not reach the insulating properties of a DownMat 7 but offers the same high comfort, low weight, durability, and small packed size. The synthetic microfiber insulation is less expensive than down. The warmth to weight ratio of our SynMat is superior to traditional sleeping mats.
Exped's Synmat range of mats form the backbone of the range, being made of tough face fabrics and incorporating a hand pump they are heavier that other Exped ranges - not to be confused with the Synmat UL mats which don't have the pump and have lighter fabric used in the construction.
The 'Syn' bit of Synmat stands for Synthetic insulation which is essential if you are camping three seasons or more. The R-Value is a measure of the insulation value of the mat and for this mat it shows its one of the warmest mats available, only the Downmats are warmer for their weight.
The Synmats come in 7cm or 9cm thicknesses, the difference between the two boils down to comfort, the thicker a mat is the more comfortable it will be. Details like enlarged outer rails so you don't roll off as easily, and two valves, (one for inflation and one for deflation) makes this a quality product.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Proven Flatvalve Technology: seperate inflation and deflation valves, non protruding and more durable than traditional valves. One way Flat Valve for rapid deflation
- Integrated pump: intuitive design ensures swift, moisture-free inflation of the mat
- Warm Insulation: 150g/qm Texped-loft microfibre provides outstanding insulation and is laminated to the upper and lower sides of the mat. This ensures durable loft and insulation for the life of the mat
- Quality materials: next-to-skin comfort and effective slip-resistance. Proprietary Exped laminate is airtight and impervious to degradation
- Superior Baffle construction: internal I-beam baffles prevent cold lines and stabilise the mat
- Thickness: 7 cm
- Length: 197 cm
- Shoulder Width: 65 cm
- Foot Width: 65 cm
- Weight Mat: 1070g
- Weight Packsack: 19g
- Packed height: 27cm
- Packed diameter: 15cm
- Pack volume: 5.1L
- Product contents: Mat, Packsack, Repair kit, instruction sheet
- Repair manual
- Warranty: 5 years
- Temperature: -17 °C
- ASTM R-Value: 4.8
- Old R-Value test (EMPA): 4.90 (US)
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.