UOG TOP PICK - Sea to Summit Spark Series Sleeping Bags - Best Warmth to Weight ratio - We've singled out Sea to Summits Spark sleeping bags as one of our recommendations because its a minimalist in the true sense of the word, it only includes a few key features but delivers exceptional warmth given its very low weight.
Sea to Summit says
Ultra-light and technical, our Spark Series bags are designed to keep you as warm as possible while minimising packed weight and size.
The Spark Series spans everything from an ultralight liner to an expedition weight mid-winter bag. While the end usage is very different, they reflect a design ethos of matching weather conditions to the lightest bag possible.
The secret to the impressive performance is a combination of premium materials and careful design. The RDS 850+ Loft premium goose down, light-gauge #3 YKK zip and high performance 10D Nylon shell and 7D lining fabrics, set the stage for a superior performance. These materials are combined with a contoured mummy design for efficient insulation, and that mummy design is then tweaked for each model to best fit the use scenario.
Our Ultra-Dry Down water-repellent treatment protects the down from external moisture and condensation from the inside of the bag, virtually eliminating the negative effects moisture has on down. All Sea to Summit Down Sleeping Bags use Responsible Down Standard (RDS) certified down. The Ultra-Dry Down protection also makes the Spark an impressive hard-alpine or adventure racing bag, where every gram is counted and down has never been a viable option.
Sea to Summit's Spark SpIII Down Sleeping Bag is a true minimalist bag that uses the lightest materials and highest quality, responsibly sourced down to deliver an exceptionally high warmth to weight ratio, when compared to other similarly rated bags.
The Spark III bag features vertical baffles on the chest area to minimise movement of down, optimising insulation where you need it most. The bag uses box wall construction throughout which reduces the cold spots you get with sewn construction. The full zip with 2 sliders allows good venting options if conditions are too warm. There is a small insulating zip baffle and further draft collars around the head to limit heat loss
The contoured mummy shape is roomy and the super thin and light outer fabrics means more care will be needed than with more heavy duty bags. The bag compresses down to a very small size.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Ultralight 7D and 10D fabrics for minimal weight and packed size
- RDS 850+ Loft Premium Goose ULTRA-DRY Down for maximum insulation value
- Contoured mummy shape for comfort and efficient insulation
- Vertical chest baffles prevent down migration and cold spots
- This bag is not designed to pair with another
- Uses a full box baffle construction to accommodate extra down and reduce cold spots
- Expedition mummy bag sizing provides extra space for layered clothing or extra wriggle room
- Vertical baffles on chest optimises positions of down to prevent it from moving during use
- Full side zip with two sliders provides easy access and extra ventilation options
- Zipper draft tube, hood and front neck draft collar to prevent warmth being lost when it's needed
- EN13537:2012 Comfort: -2°C / 29°F
- EN13537:2012 Comfort Limit: -8°C / 18°F
- EN13537:2012 Extreme: -26°C / -15°F
- Weight: 660g (excludes storage bags)
- Fill weight: 430g
- Fits up to: 6 ft / 183 cm
- Internal Width Shoulder: 155cm / 61 in
- Internal Width Waist: 135cm / 53 in
- Internal Width Feet: 94cm / 37 in
- Packed size: 15 x 35cm
- Weight: 756g (excludes storage bags)
- Fill weight: 485g
- Fits up to: 6 ft 6 in / 198 cm
- Internal Width Shoulder: 162cm / 64 in
- Internal Width Waist: 142cm / 56 in
- Internal Width Feet: 100cm / 39 in
- Packed size: 15 x 35cm
- Insulation: RDS 850+ Loft Premium Goose ULTRA-DRY Down
- Shell: Ultralight 10D Nylon Shell
- Zipper: Left-side #3 YKK zipper
- Comes with: Ultra-Sil™ compression bag and storage cell