The Seamless Down Hugger is a pretty revolutionary sleeping bag. The use of spider yarn instead of baffles to hold the down plus elasticated inner results an amazing level of stretch. This is an extremely lightweight high performance sleeping bag using the highest quality materials available. This is an impressive bag!
Our state-of-the-art sleeping bag design achieves cutting edge performance without adding extra weight. The baffle-less outer design allows for unrestricted loft while the interior elasticized stitching pulls the bag closer to the body without making you feel constricted. Sleeping in the backcountry has never felt so good. By placing a web-like layer of polyester yarns throughout the bag, we created a system that traps down and holds it in place. The system successfully eliminates seams on the outer fabric, preventing heat loss through the seams.
Montbell's Seamless Down Hugger 800 Sleeping Bag #1 is a unique sleeping bag for a number of of reasons. Firstly, the baffle-less construction which is immediately clear to see. Montbell have developed a technique where they use threads of yarn to catch the down, a concept based on the spider web.
All of the bags we've seen and tested so far have worked really well in keeping down in place and reducing cold spots. The second feature is the spiral stretch system which allows you to move around in the bag more as the fabrics have enough stretch to make movement easier and less restrictive.
It is quick to loft and feels warm as soon as you're in the bag. The 10D fabric is one of the ways that weight is saved but it does mean that extra care is needed. It uses a full length, sturdy zip so access is much easier than many other bags. The hood and collar can be cinched separately which is good and the toggles are on the inside for easy of use.
Overall, this bag looks great and performs really well.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
(Unfortunately, we are unable to ship MontBell products outside of the UK)
- Spider Baffle System
- Super Spiral Stretch System (inside, US. Patent NO. 7,900,301)
- Tunnel Hood limits exposure of your head
- Adjustable Neck Baffle keeps warmth inside
- Hood Adjuster with draw cord for face hole adjustment
- Draft Tube (single) along the zipper shuts cold air out
- Insulated zipper flap prevents cold air from coming in
- Two-way right or left hand mating zipper (67 in / 170 cm)
- Auto locking zipper to limit zipper "slip" during the night
- Anti-snagging slider cover
- Triangle gusset to reinforce at the end of the zipper
- Tapered stuff sack included
- Storage /laundry net sack included
- EN13537:2012 Comfort: -3°C / 27°F
- EN13537:2012 Comfort Limit: -10°C / 14°F
- Weight: 966g (excludes storage bags)
- Fill weight: NA
- Max user height: 6 ft / 183 cm
- Compressed size: 16 x 32cm
Material & Construction
- Insulation: 800 Fill Power EX Down
- Shell: 10-denier Ballistic Airlight nylon taffeta (100% Nylon, water repellent finish) Spider yarn (93% polyester + 7% Nylon)
- Zipper: Two way zipper (170cm)