UOG TOP PICK - Big Agnes's Pluton UL Sleeping Bag - We've singled out Big Agnes's Pluton UL Sleeping Bag as one of our top recommendations because its a really low weight bag with a full length zip and decent boxed foot. Filled with 850 Fill Power hydrophobic down it achieves a decent rating for the overall weight of the bag - we think its a top performer at a good price.
Big Agnes's Pluton UL is a great ultralight bag, the amount of down in it is high compared to the total weight of the bag and with a 4C recommended temperature range it compares very well with other bags in this category. It also has full length zip, shaped footbox and simple hood.
Big Agnes says
You've got ultralight adventuring down to a science, right? Your pack and 90% of its contents is totally dialed in for fast and light on-trail travel in warm temps, but one thing is weighing you down. Even in those warm summer months, as soon as you get up high or down low near water, that chilly quilt or bulky old bag you've been using since high school is not cutting it. The Pluton UL is a highly compressible sleeping bag filled with an incredibly lightweight and packable 850-fill DownTek™ insulation. It will keep you warm and keep your pack light, whether that's a backpack, bikepack or packraft.
Big Agnes' 2020 Pluton UL 40 Down Sleeping Bag is a very light sleeping bag with a Big Agnes temperature rating of 4C, this is not an EN Tested rating but by comparing the amount of down and the quality of down in the bag we can verify that its a realistic figure roughly equivalent to the EN Comfort Limit.
At less than 500grams this bag is at the high performing end, perhaps not our lightest at this insulation level but its up there with the best, and the price point compares well.
It has everything you would want for this category of bag, virtually a full length zip with 2 way sliders, a shaped footbox and down filled hood. The hood lacks sophistication but that is probably what you would expect for this category of bag.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Highly compressible, crazylight minimalist mummy bag for your fast and light adventures
- Minimalist hood with drawcord
- Low-profile cordlock lets you un-cinch the hood with one hand
- Full-length zipper can be opened up for quilt use and provides easy temperature regulation
- 70" / 178cm YKK #3 locking zipper
- Ergonomic foot-box construction provides more loft and warmth
- Two-way zipper
- Zipper Garage
- Streamlined exterior loops for hang drying or storage
- Storage sack & stuff sack included
|Weight||430g (excludes storage bags)||506g (excludes storage bags)|
|Fill||850 DownTek||850 DownTek|
|Fill weight||227g / 8oz||283g / 10oz|
|Stuff sack size||15 x 27cm||15 x 27cm|
|Compressed bag size||10 x 13cm||11 x 13cm|
|Fits up to ||183cm||198cm|
|Shoulder Girth ||150cm||158cm|
|Hip Girth ||135cm||142cm|
|Foot Girth ||91cm||99cm|
|Comfort Limit ||4°C / 40°F||4°C / 40°F|
|Pad Size Needed ||Works with any pad size or style||Works with any pad size or style|
Materials & Construction
- Shell and lining is Pertex® Quantum nylon rip-stop
- 100% recycled Pertex® Quantum uses a tightly woven structure made from incredibly fine yarns, making a light and soft fabric that allows insulation to fully loft and maximize thermal efficiency
- 850 fill DownTek™ repels water while maintaining insulating value - bluesign® Certified PFOA and PFOS free water repellent chemistry
Help and advice: