We think this is a backpackers jacket - its a bit longer than most, has pit zips and a more durable face fabric than the ultralight offerings which will be more forgiving with a rucksack strap pressed on it.
Using 100% recycled GORE-TEX PACLITE® PLUS technology, the Pac Plus XT Jacket balances low weight and packability whilst still being rich in mountain features such as a helmet hood, 3 pockets and pit zips which can be used for venting when working hard climbing, scrambling or mountain walking.
Montane's Pac Plus XT Gore-Tex Jacket bridges the gap between ultralight (less durable) and heavyweight mountain waterproofs. Its fairly lightweight but the XT has a more durable face fabric than the standard Pac Plus jacket making it ideal for backpackers who want light but are not prepared to go too light and find water penetration at the shoulders when carrying a rucksack.
Its still for lightweight backpacking though, not so suitable for supporting a heavy pack.
We also like the features on this jacket - pit zips are a bit Marmite, you either like them or not - I do, they can be really useful on those still but wet days on the trail when opening them doesn't really let much rain in but lets a lot of steam out.
This jacket is also longer than others which is a requirement often cited by backpackers.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Fully seam taped construction
- Fully adjustable roll-away insulated climbing helmet compatible hood with stiffened peak
- Articulated arms for high reach movement
- Full-length two-way YKK AQUAGUARD® front zip with internal storm flap
- Two-way YKK AQUAGUARD® pit zips
- Two map-sized, mesh-lined hand pockets with YKK AQUAGUARD® zips
- External chest pocket with YKK AQUAGUARD® zip
- Shaped cuffs with adjustable hook and loop tabs
- Adjustable hem with cinchable drawcord
- Activities: Mountaineeing / Climbing / Mountain Walking / Trekking
- Small weighs: 361g
- Medium weighs: 376g
- Large weighs: 392g
- XLarge weighs: 406g
Material & Construction
- 100% recycled 40 Denier GORE-TEX PACLITE® PLUS
- Back length: 76cm (size M)
- Hydrostatic head: 28,000mm
- MVTR/Air permeability RET: <6