They took their Wild Owyhee design, made it in Sil-Nylon, and added a few new features! Simply called the Owyhee Tarp, this tarp has the benefit of an added No-See-Um skirt perimeter, that eliminates the need to carry a bug net to keep away those pesky mosquitoes.
Six Moon Designs says
The apex is offset slightly toward the head of the tent. This creates steeper walls at the head raising the canopy further from your face and sets the peak to the more natural position when sitting.
The Owyhee can be set up using your trekking poles or our optional carbon fiber poles.
The Owyhee is designed to be mated with the 3D UL Groundsheet (included). Together they form a luxurious-sized shelter that is protected from bugs and weather for a mere 24.6 ounces.
There is also a 1.8mm corded, adjustable clothesline that is also detachable and has a multi-pocket cargo gear pocket that can slide on and off of the line.
The skirt’s generous 18-inch width allows you flexibility in setting up the shelter at different heights. There is also No-See-Um mesh in the vents. The Owyhee features a detachable bathtub floor groundsheet that connects to the corners of the shelter and can be adjusted to form or lower the bathtub floor.
NOTES: Support poles sold separately.
Six Moon Design's Owyhee Tarp is a new SilNylon version of the original Wild Owyhee which was made with Dyneema and was over twice the price. This new version means that you are still getting a lightweight, waterproof and durable tarp tent but without the extraordinary price tag that goes with anything Dyneema. In addition to that change of materials this includes a bathtub floor and No-See-Um mesh surrounding the base. These two features make a huge difference as the floor means you can travel without a ground sheet and remain protected from the ground in damp conditions, while the mesh reduces the need to carry and extra bug net.
Using two poles or your trekking poles it can quickly and easily be erected. There is a decent amount of space for two people and although the mesh does reduce the vestibule size somewhat, if there are no midges or mosquitoes around this does not need to be used so you can get a bit more space. Two entrances and vestibules make access much easier while the head height is good too so the usable space is decent.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Full 360-degree protection allows this tarp to provide enhanced security when compared to a traditional flat tarp.
- High Vent helps remove excess moisture build-up.
- Zipper Vestibule Closure makes opening and closing the vestibule a snap.
- Dual Side Entry makes entering and exiting easy.
- Easy Tension Adjustment makes keeping the tent taut a trivial task that can be accomplished while still in your sleeping bag. Re-tension straps have been added to all tie-out points.
- Floating Canopy allows the canopy to be set to different heights.
- Optimized Sleeping Area is oriented to maximize usable space, ventilation, and view. A peak height of 45 inches gives you plenty of headroom.
- Dual Pole Support significantly improves headroom and interior space.
- Ultra-light Waterproof Canopy is made from high-strength 30 denier Silicone Nylon.
- Removable, adjustable hanging gear loft and clothesline.
- Detachable bathtub floor groundsheet.
- Mesh sewn into perimeter and vents for full bug protection.
- Tarp weighs: 668g (excludes storage bag + groundsheet)
- Groundsheet weighs: 182g (exludes storage bag)
- Total weight: 850g (exclusing storage bags)
- Sleeps: 2
- Seasons: 3
- Ships with: Tarp, stuff sack, guylines, groundsheet
- Pack size: 12" x 4.5"
- Stakes: Not inlcuded but uses 6
- Type: Tarp
- Frame: Trekking poles or two 45" poles (not included)
- Entry: Side entry
- Coverage: 53 ft2 - 4.9 m2
- Canopy: 30D Silicone Coated Nylon
- Zipper: #3 YKK
- Mesh: 20D No-See-Um