Building upon Terra Nova's most popular tent with it's multi award-winning hoop design, this two person Compact version still provides a stable shelter with an easy set-up, with the added bonus of a smaller pack size.
Terra Nova says
The Laser Compact 2 is the small pack size version of the classic two-person tent, the Laser Competition 2, that offers a great mix of being super-low weight with additional comfort. With all of the benefits and features you would expect from a 2-person lightweight tent partnered with a compact pack size of only 30cm long.
The Laser Compact 2 tent is designed for backpackers, cyclists and general travellers looking for tried and tested weight saving kit with a good balance of durability and low-weight. It is suitable for medium, duration mountain marathons and backpacking trips and is rated for 3 season use, so spring to autumn weather conditions. Its low-profile design and shape make it the ideal tent for wild camping as well as campsite use.
The Laser Compact uses the transverse hoop design which is a classic, much copied design, that Terra Nova used very early on and they've developed this type of tent further than many imitators. Check the dimensions carefully because Terra Nova tents can feel small - but they are the lightest around. A simple, effective design with single entrance help keep weight down. The low profile of the tent, guy lines and low cut fly make it a great tent for battling the wind and rain.
The 'Compact' tents are pretty much exactly the same as the 'Competition' version but with shorter pole sections that allow the pack size to be much smaller. Ideal for the pack size conscious traveller, whether that's back- or bike-packing.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- The compact pack size with a pack length of only 30cm allows for optimal positioning within your backpack. This benefit makes this piece of kit perfect for bike packing, adventure racing and cycle touring
- There are located doors at the front and back side of the tent, holding a generously sized porch at the front which provides ease of access and ventilation. The rear door provides space under the flysheet at the back of the tent which can also be used for storage
- The flysheet and inner are attached ensuring that the tent pitches easily and quickly ‘as one’. This style of tent is suited best to ground conditions where pegging out is possible. The low-profile design creates a sturdy and stable structure, and Dyneema reflective guylines, which are three times as strong as standard guyrope, to add extra support
- A DAC NFL alloy pole is used for the main pole along with additional alloy end poles. There are also handy reflective tapes around the pole sleeve to help its location and ease of pitching. Colour-coding also ensures locating the slots for the end poles can be completed with ease when pitching the tent. The inner door is half mesh which is midge proof and there are mesh panels at each end of the flysheet and inner (with a waterproof cover) to ensure for good ventilation
- Uses Terra Nova Watershed groundsheet and flysheet fabrics. As the silicone coated flysheet fabric cannot be seam sealed conventionally, the tent has been cleverly designed to prevent water penetration into the inner of the tent. The end flysheet seams have been positioned so they are not directly over the inner and a removable waterproof pole cover is supplied with the tent to ensure the main seem is fully waterproof. This also offers additional protection to the zip and stability in poor weather. The groundsheet however is seam sealed for waterproof protection.
- Flysheet & inner weighs: 948g
- Poleset weighs: 174g
- Total weight for comparison: 1122g (excludes pegs and bags)
- x10 pegs supplied weigh: 102g
Terra Nova Specs:
- Sleeps: 2
- Season Rating Spec: 3 season backpacking
- Free standing?: No (tent requires guy lines to be pitched)
- Minimum Weight: 1.08Kg (2lb 6oz)
- Packed Weight: 1.23Kg (2lb 11oz)
- Pitch Time (estimate): 5 mins
- Number of Porches: 1
- Number of Doors: 2
- Pitch Type: Fly and Inner pitch together
- Packed Size: 30 x15cm
Construction + Materials
- Flysheet: Watershed Si2 R/S 5000mm
- Floor: Waterbloc R/S 6000m
- Poles: 8.7mm DAC NF
- Pegs: 10 x 11g Allo
- Guylines: 4 x Dyneema Reflective
- Inner Door: Half Mesh