Building upon Terra Nova's most popular tent with it's multi award-winning hoop design, this Compact version still provides a stable shelter with an easy set-up, with the added bonus of a smaller pack size.
Terra Nova says
The Laser Compact 1 is the small pack size version of the classic single person tent, the Laser Competition 1, winner of multiple Best In Test awards. With all of the classic features and benefits partnered with a compact pack size of just 30cm length.
The Laser Compact 1 is designed for backpackers, travellers and cyclists looking for tried and tested kit with a good balance of durability and very low weight. This tent is suitable for medium duration backpacking trips, mountain marathons and cycle touring and is rated for 3 season use, so perfect for spring to autumn weather conditions. Its low-profile design and shape make it ideal for both wild camping as well as campsite use. Although it is a 1-person tent for overnight stays it could also be used as snug accommodation for 2.
The Laser Compact uses the transverse hoop design which is a classic, much copied design, that Terra Nova used very early on and they've developed this type of tent further than many imitators. Check the dimensions carefully because Terra Nova tents can feel small - but they are the lightest around. A simple, effective design with single entrance help keep weight down. The low profile of the tent, guy lines and low cut fly make it a great tent for battling the wind and rain.
The 'Compact' tents are pretty much exactly the same as the 'Competition' version but with shorter pole sections that allow the pack size to be much smaller. Ideal for the pack size conscious traveller, whether that's back- or bike-packing.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- The compact pack size offering a pack length of only 30cm allows for optimal positioning within your backpack. This quality makes this piece of kit perfect for bike packing, cycle touring and adventure racing
- With 20 denier flysheet fabric, the flysheet and inner come attached, so the tent can be pitched quickly and easily ‘as one’. This tent is best suited to ground conditions where pegging out is a possibility. The low-profile design ensures a stable structure along with Dyneema reflective guylines, which are three times stronger than standard guyrope to add extra support
- Uses Terra Nova Watershed groundsheet and flysheet fabrics. The silicone coated flysheet fabric cannot be seam sealed in a conventional way, due to this the tent has been technically designed to prevent water penetration into the inner. The end flysheet seams have been positioned so they are not over the inner and a removable waterproof pole cover is supplied with the tent to ensure the main seam is fully waterproof. This also adds stability in poor weather and protects the zip. The groundsheet is seam sealed for waterproof protection
- A DAC alloy pole is used for the main pole with additional alloy poles at each end. There are also reflective tapes around the pole sleeve to help its ease of pitching and location. The inner door is half mesh which is midge proof with mesh panels at each end of the flysheet and inner (with waterproof cover) to ensure effective ventilation
- Flysheet & inner weighs: 768g
- Poleset weighs: 162g
- Total weight for comparison: 930g (excludes pegs and bags)
- x10 pegs supplied weigh: 102g
Terra Nova Specs:
- Sleeps: 1
- Season Rating Spec: 3 season backpacking
- Free standing?: No (tent requires guy lines to be pitched)
- Minimum Weight: 0.86Kg (1lb 14oz)
- Packed Weight: 0.97Kg (2lb 2oz)
- Pitch Time (estimate): 5 mins
- Number of Porches: 1
- Number of Doors: 1
- Pitch Type: Fly and Inner pitch together
- Packed Size: 30 x14cm
Construction + Materials
- Flysheet: Watershed Si2 R/S 5000mm
- Floor: Waterbloc R/S 6000m
- Poles: 8.7mm DAC NF
- Pegs: 10 x 11g Allo
- Guylines: 4 x Dyneema Reflective
- Inner Door: Half Mesh