The Outdoor Research Illuminate Down Hoody is a mid-weight insulating layer with 800 fill down, illuminates any alpine endeavor with a good warmth to weight ratio.
Outdoor Research says
The Illuminate Down Hoody and Jacket are the lightest, warmest, easiest-to-grab midlayer pieces that pack 800-fill responsibly sourced down insulation into their own left-hand pocket. A sturdy nylon shell and lining provide light weather resistance and next-to-skin ultra-soft comfort, while fine-tuned details like a brushed tricot interior and zip chest media pocket ensure hands and valuables stay warm, dry, and safe. Elastic cuffs and drawcord hem trap in warmth and seal out cold, and a color-blocked design looks as good as it performs in freezing temps.
Outdoor Research's Illuminate Down Hoody is the type of jacket you pack for those days where you need just a touch of down insulation, or for those cold days on the chairlift when an extra layer might be crucial.
At 344g (size M) it's one of our lighter down jackets that still offers a good amount of insulation. There are lighter, warmer or cheaper down jackets available but I'd say this sits nicely between the three. The shell and lining which is lightweight, water resistant and wind resistant has a silk like softness to it that feels soft against your skin. It has got a bit of a shine to it, which might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's a great lightweight jacket with all the features you need.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Fabric Performance: Water-Resistant, Wind-Resistant, Lightweight
- Design Features: Adjustable Hood, Zip Hand Pockets, Two Internal Shove-It™ Pockets, Zip Chest Pocket with internal Media Pocket, Left-Hand Pocket Doubles as Stuff Sack, Carabiner Loop, Brushed Tricot Back of Hand Inside Pockets, Key Clip
- Functional Details: Single-Separating Front Zipper, Low-Pro Binding™ Elastic Cuffs, Elastic Drawcord Hem
- Small weighs: 320g
- Medium weighs: 344g
- Large weighs: 384g
- XLarge weighs: 390g
- XXLarge weighs: 414g
- Center back length: 74cm
- 100% nylon 10D shell and 20D lining
- 81g of 800 fill power, responsibly sourced goose down
Help and advice: