For a spacious and practical three season tent the Helags is a great option. With a generous amount of internal space, two entrances with two good sized vestibules and a number of ways to configure the set up this is a highly versatile tent.
Roomy, light, and comfortable, the new Helags models are outstanding choices for those looking for comfort and low weight for their adventures during the snow-free times of the year. Their two vestibule configuration results in an inner tent with vertical ends, near vertical sidewalls, and full sitting height throughout the tent. Curved patterning on the bottom of the outer tent walls provides full-time ventilation without compromising protection from rain, and all-mesh inner tent doors promote impressive air flow. For even more venting (and for great views), both vestibule doors can be rolled away completely. Patterned after the Red Label Kaitum, the Helags is an excellent “all-rounder.” It excels at mobile journeys, where you pitch your tent and take it down frequently, and it is equally at home on a variety of adventures. Backpackers, paddlers and bicycle tourers will all love its lightweight roominess, and since the Helags 3 weighs just 200 g (7 oz) more than the Helags 2, sizing up is an easy choice for those wanting even more comfort.
The Helags 2 Person Tent is a new shelter from Hilleberg that provides versatility and practical space. The details in the design, materials used and quality of construction result in a fantastic tent. Hilleberg focus their designs on quality, durable tents that provide shelter from challenging conditions. They use a label system to differentiate their tents and intended uses. The Helags falls into the Yellow Label category. This means that the tent is the best choice if light weight is your highest priority and if you travel in the snow-free months and in protected terrain, or in warmer climates.
The tunnel design of Helags provides immediate strength and space. However, with a focus on weight the Helags does use slightly thinner materials and is aimed at three season use. It will still stand up to pretty serious conditions we encounter in the Spring and Autumn. The design can seem similar to others in the range but there are a number of nice features such as the dual entrances and vestibules which give a serious amount of extra storage space along with somewhere to shelter and cook when the conditions are poor. The doors can be rolled and configured in different ways to maximise airflow or simply make the most of the views. The tent uses three poles to create a fairly level roof line so there is no loss of space as you usually find at the foot end of many tents.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
(Unfortunately, we are unable to ship Hilleberg products outside the UK)
- Kerlon 1000 outer tent fabric and 9 mm poles make for a supremely lightweight tent that is still quite strong.
- 3-season design: ventilation is built into the construction, and the inner tent mesh areas have no backing fabric panels.
- Tunnel construction offers maximum space to weight ratio and is the ideal choice for mobile journeys.
- The Helags has plenty of room for the stated number of occupants and their gear.
- Linked but separable inner and outer tent for simultaneous pitching.
- Tunnel design requires only four pegs for pitching, and the simple, single-opening, continuous sleeve and pole tensioner pole system is quick to pitch and remarkably stable.
- Dual entrances ensure that one door can always be situated out of the wind and provide flexible entry/exit options.
- An optional footprint covers only the inner tent area and not the vestibule. It connects directly to the tent, and can be left attached during pitching.
- The inner tent can be replaced with the Helags Mesh Inner tent (sold separately).
- The outer and inner tents can be used separately. Pitching the inner tent alone requires 4 optional pole holders (sold separately).
- Looped guy lines affixed to twin attachments on each side of each pole increase stability in poor conditions.
- 4 Integrated stowage pockets.
- High bathtub floor keeps out ground water.
- Inner tent doors are all mesh, providing constant air flow.
- Flysheet & inner weighs: 1632g
- Poles weigh: 466g
- Total weight: 2098g (excludes pegs & bags)
- Pegs x 17 weigh: 168g
- Minimum weight: 2.1 kg / 4lbs 10oz
- Packed weight: 2.4 kg / 5lbs 5oz
- Inner height: 100 cm / 39 in
- Inner tent area: 2.9 m2 / 31.2 ft2
- Vestibule area: 2 x 1 m2 / 2 x 10.8 ft2
- Packed size: 51 x 17 cm / 20 x 6.5 in
Construction + Materials
- Fly fabric: Kerlon 1000, 20 D High Tenacity Ripstop Nylon 66
- Fly treatment: Coated on both sides with a total of 3 layers of 100% silicone, and treated for UV resistance during dyeing and coating
- Fly hydrostatic head: 5000 mm/49 kPa (ISO 811)
- Fly tear strength: min. 8 kg (ISO 13937-4)
- Inner tent fabric: 10 Denier Ripstop Nylon
- Inner tent treatment: Durable Water Repellent (DWR)
- Floor fabric: 50 Denier Nylon
- Floor treatment: Double-coated polyurethane
- Floor hydrostatic head: 12000 mm/118 kPa (ISO 811)
- Floor miscellaneous: Highly puncture & abrasion resistant
- Poles (9mm): 3 DAC Featherlite NSL 9mm poles
- Pegs: 16 Y-Peg UL