The Ortlieb Handlebar Pack is a good sized waterproof pack capable of carrying extra pieces of kit for real bikepacking adventures. As with the rest of the Ortlieb bikepacking range this is a high quality product that is well designed, with a strong durable construction.
The waterproof ORTLIEB Handlebar-Pack is an indispensable item when you’re on a bikepacking tour in the great outdoors. Depending on the particular model, the Handlebar-Pack offers a payload of either 9 or 15 liters for your sleeping bag and pad. It also helps to secure a balanced distribution of gear and weight across your bike. Thanks to the roll closures at both ends, you can always gain quick access to your gear. Compression belts on the outside enable the stowing and attachment of additional equipment. Moreover, the Handlebar-Pack comes with four hooks to enable the attachment of an ORTLIEB Accessory-Pack for additional stowage space. Consisting of spacers and two strong Velcro straps, the mounting system ensures secure attachment to any handlebar type, including carbon handlebars. The pack’s stiffened interior and head-tube attachment offer additional stability – in any terrain.
The smaller of the two models belongs to the compact class of bikepacker handlebar rolls. With a length of only 40 cm, this waterproof handlebar bag is the right choice for bikepackers with off-road drop bars and both racing and hybrid-style handlebars. The compact Handlebar-Pack is also extremely lightweight.
Ortlieb's Handlebar Pack - S is another well designed and well built piece of bikepacking kit. This is a good size and with ends that roll then clip close, compression straps and an external draw string you can adjust this pack to suit your trip needs. It was large enough to fit a loads of spare kit, food and cooking equipment in. This would be excessive for single day outings but it has worked perfectly on overnight trips.
The adjustable straps mean that this doesn't bounce about on rocky trails and I didn't notice the additional weight in terms of the balance and handling of the bike with this smaller version. Even with pretty rocky trails and a few serious descents the pack handled it all with ease and the contents remained safe and dry. After a good wash the pack looked in perfect condition.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Compact waterproof luggage roll for handlebar with two-way roll closure access
- Ideal handlebar bag for bikepacking
- Perfect for waterproof storage for soft items like clothes, sleeping bag or mattress (two openings)
- Quick and easy two-way access
- Width varies between 40 cm to 45 cm/15.7 to 17.7 in.
- Light weight sturdy PU laminated rip stop nylon
- 4 spacers
- Strap with spacer for mounting around stem
- 2 straps with Velcro attachment for securing bag to the handle bar
- 4 alloy hooks for adjusting the compression straps or fixing the Accessory-Pack (available separately)
- External Compression straps
- Internal stifferener for increased stability
- Can be mounted to carbon handlebars
- Balanced weight distribution on bicycle
- 3M Scotchlite reflector
- Maximum capacity: 5 kg/11 lbs.
- Weight: 340g
- Volume: 9 Litres
- Height: 16 cm
- Width: 45 cm
- Depth: 16 cm
- Fabric: PS21R