An interesting boot that focuses on sustainability, without compromising performance
A totally new type of responsibly-built outdoor shoe, driven by innovation and versatility. Made with recycled materials, and built with easily-replaceable parts to make it last longer: but that’s not all. Thanks to an innovative exchangeable midsole, this is two shoes in one - a softer shoe for daily use and a harder one for rougher terrain or heavier loads. Fitted with a stretch GORE-TEX membrane to keep you dry in all conditions, and reinforced with a supportive heel counter, toe protection and high-quality leather.
Even before I got my hands on these shoes, I was immediately transfixed when I saw them. They are without a doubt the most intriguing-looking walking boot I have seen in a long time, and that was before I opened the box to find they come with 2 sets of, at first glance, rather large insoles, they are in fact not an insole at all, but the mid sole, something that traditionally would be incorporated into a shoe, and certainly wouldn’t be removable. Each removable midsole is designed to be used for different activities, one for rougher more hard-wearing terrain (scrambles, climbing, summit bagging), possibly while wearing a heavy backpack, and then another for gentler pursuits (day hikes, dog walks, everyday use/ pub) essentially 2 boots in one, an approach shoe and a mountain boot.
This of course could be written off as a novelty, but in this case, I don’t think so. This is without a doubt one of the most environmentally conscious boots produced. The soft yet durable leather is of the highest standards and is audited by “the leatherworking group” to ensure strict rules on sustainability are adhered to. The polyester “sock” that provides a skin-tight fit around the ankle, preventing dust, rocks, and general detritus from entering the shoe, is made from 100% recycled polyester and the removable midsoles themselves are made from an Algae-based bloom foam, which is an excellent way of taking harmful CO2 out of our oceans. Even the laces are 100% recycled. This boot isn’t just about reusing recycled material, it’s also combating the “fast fashion culture”. The average person purchases 5 pairs of shoes a year, if these Duality boots mean one less pair ends up in a landfill, Haglofs are on to something.
When I first put them on (I tried the mountain midsole first) I admit I found them quite difficult to get on, but I’m sure as the boot becomes more flexible this will become easier, I was impressed with how comfortable they are, and how incredibly breathable they are. The completely flat sole and small lugs mean they could struggle in incredibly boggy wet ground, but the sole itself is of an abrasion-resistant, “wet grip” rubber and is incredibly hard-wearing, though I think some more protection over the toes would have been nice if I was to nit pick, and at the end of the sole’s life it is designed to be completely replaced, increasing the boots longevity even further. Lastly, the GORE-TEX Extended Comfort stretch means your feet will stay dry. All in all, these are some of the most impressive boots I’ve ever seen, regardless of their innovative approach, these shoes would be fantastic without the emphasis on the environment, but because of it, they are elevated even further in my opinion.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Exchangeable midsole, allowing all-terrain use.
- An extra pair of midsoles is included: giving you the option to enjoy a comfortable shoe for daily use, and a tougher one for terrain and/or a heavier backpack load
- The exchangeable midsoles comes in two different densities and are shaped for maximum comfort and support
- GORE-TEX Extended Comfort with stretch offers ideal breathable waterproofing
- Extensive heel support and toe protection for stability and durability
- Premium leather from a tannery audited by the Leather Working Group
- Fluorocarbon free DWR-treated surfaces help repel water & dirt
- Engineered patterned outsole provides high traction and stability
- AHAR™ Plus (ASICS® High Abrasion Resistance Rubber) on the outsole heel adds durability
- Algae-based BLOOM FOAM™ in midsoles for excellent comfort, saving fresh water and CO2
- Knitted upper with sock comfort, made from 100% recycled polyester
- Finger loop webbing on heel and tongue for easy use
- Webbing and laces made from 100% recycled polyester
- Waterproof flex test: 200,000 steps
- UK 8 (per shoe) weighs: 512g
- Upper: Fluorocarbon free water repellent 1.4 -1.6 mm nubuck from LWG audited tannery (Gold/Silver rated) with lower environmental footprint.
- Recycled polyester (knitting and laces).
- Lining: GORE-TEX Extended Comfort
- Midsole: Bloom Foam
- Heel encounter: Bio TPU
- Outsole: WET GRIP Rubber™ / AHAR™ Plus on heel area.
Help and advice: