(Unfortunately, we are unable to ship MontBell products outside of the UK)
The Down Hugger 800 has an innovative design that allows users to move around more with the super stretch material used. A practical, high quality sleeping bag at an impressively low weight.
By adopting a classic tailor's trick and paring it with high grade materials Montbell has brought extreme comfort and thermal efficiency to the light weight backcountry enthusiast. We found that integrating a woven fabric "cut on the bias" and orienting the fabric's warp and weft threads at 45 degrees to most major seam lines the sleeping bag becomes more fluid in nature. To create an even more comfortable system we utilize an elasticized thread in the stitch to create small "gathers" in the quilting. Through the combination of strategic seam orientation and the stretch provided by gathered quilting we offer unrivaled fit and comfort. These innovations allow the sleeping bag to move with you as you change positions throughout the night, drawing the 800 fill goose down closer to your body and eliminating drafty dead spaces. Keep body heat inside your sleeping bag, where it belongs.
Montbell's Down Hugger 800 Sleeping Bag #5 uses the spiral stretch system which allows you to move around in the bag more as the fabrics have enough stretch to make movement easier and less restrictive. Although the footbox did feel a little restrictive in terms of the general size, the rest of the bag did feel stretchy and more comfortable for it. The spiral baffles do a good job of keeping down in place and the simple feature set allows the overall weight to remain low at just 434g.
This #5 version is filled with 170g of 800FP Down which results in a 4°C Comfort Limit. It is quick to loft and feels warm as soon as you're in the bag. The 10D fabric is one of the ways that weight is saved but it does mean that extra care is needed. It uses a full length, sturdy zip so access is much easier than many other bags. The hood and collar can be cinched with one hand and the toggles are on the inside for easy of use. Overall, this bag looks great and performs really well.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Super Spiral Stretch System (US. Patent NO. 7,900,301)
- Multi-tube construction
- Anti-snagging slider cover
- Hood Adjuster (Draw cord for face hole adjustment)
- Insulated Flap (covering the zipper to shut out cold air)
- Auto Locking Zipper (to limit zipper ”slip” during the night)
- Triangle Gusset (Reinforcement at the end of the zipper)
- Storage sack included
- Stuff sack included (Tapered, bias stretch stuff sack for easier packing)
- EN13537:2012 Comfort: 8°C / 47°F
- EN13537:2012 Comfort Limit: 4°C / 39°F
- EN13537:2012 Extreme: -10°C /14°/F
- Weight: 434g (excludes storage bags)
- Fill weight: 170g
- Max User Height: 6 in / 183 cm
- Shoulder Girth: 59 - 76 in / 149 - 194 cm
- Knee Girth: 48 - 63 in / 123 - 160 cm
- Stuffed size: 12 x 24cm
- Insulation: 800 Fill Power EX Down
- Shell & lining: 10-denier Ballistic Airlight Nylon
- Zipper: Two way Left hand mating zippers (67 in / 170 cm)