UOG TOP PICK - Big Agnes Cupper Spur HV UL 1 and 2 Tent - supremely versatile free-standing design.
Big Agnes have updated their hugely popular Copper Spur HV UL series with new materials that are lighter and stronger while adding a great new awning-style vestibule opening. They are still truly freestanding with excellent headroom, near vertical walls and two decent sized porches.
Big Agnes says
Already one of our best-selling, full-featured, ultralight backpacking tents, the Copper Spur HV UL series just got better. Redesigned with new features inside and out, using proprietary materials that are lighter, stronger, and equipped with hardware that makes set-up even easier. The high volume design provides ample living space in this freestanding structure. Traditional, media, and 3D bin pockets help to organize your gear without cramping your sleep space or capacity to sit up inside. Awning-style vestibules can be customized to expand living space, great for both drizzle and sun protection. Your ultimate UL home away from home.
Big Agnes have done a great job of updating the 2020 Copper Spur series of tents because they are lighter in weight, use stronger fabrics and are still freestanding giving you get a good head height which is maintained over a wide area due to the cross pole arrangement. All the benefits of the older model have been retained in terms of the structure but improved fabrics have allowed a lighter and stronger flysheet to be added. The updates have also included a buckle system for attaching the fly and inner, making it much quicker and easier to pitch and pack down.
The walls are nearly vertical and there is a good mix of fabric and mesh on the inner tent - this give a good compromise between privacy, warmth and wind resistance - making it suitable for a wide range of conditions. The updates include greater storage options with a large overhead pocket this is great for stashing gear.
The Copper Spur HV UL 2 has two doors and two decent sized porches for a tent in this category with the new awning-style doors on the vestibule providing easier access and allowing you to have a greater useable space when it's raining. They were designed to allow you to open up the tent and enjoy more of the views and this is something you only really appreciate when you pitch up and get the opportunity to relax with them open. It's such a simple but fantastic change.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- NEW awning-style vestibules with double-zippers provide multiple access options.
- Features two doors and two vestibules
- NEW 3-D bin ‘mezzanine’ at the foot provides elevated storage, oversized ceiling pocket at the head provides additional storage; media pockets provide cord-routing for electronics.
- Reduced condensation with dual low-vent vestibule doors and high fly vent to maximize active and passive airflow.
- Smooth-closing, dual-zipper doors with easy-grip pulls allow for ease of entry, exit and quick, reach-through access.
- Quick Stash door-keeper makes stowing unzipped doors quick and easy.
- Velcro tabs connect fly to pole structure providing perfect pitch and extra stability; pre-cut guylines and tensioners attached to fly; reflective guylines and webbing on tent corners make it easy to see at night
- Vestibule zippers protected with storm flap.
- The Copper Hotel HV UL2 Accessory Fly is interchangeable with the standard fly, convenient for those trips when you need the extra vestibule space - sold separately
- Multiple interior loops for attaching gear lofts, accessories and mtnGLO® Tent & Camp Lights.
- To extend the life of your tent floor we recommend using a Big Agnes footprint - sold separately.
- Compatible with 2020 model year HV UL2 footprint featuring TipLok Tent Buckles
- Fast-fly setup available with footprint.
- Inner tent weighs: 412g
- Flysheet weighs: 480g
- Poleset weighs: 376g
- Total weight for comparison: 1268g (excludes pegs and bags)
- 8 pegs supplied weigh: 88g
- Footprint sold separately
Big Agnes Specs
- Trail weight (excludes pegs): 2lb 11oz / 1.22kg
- Packed weight: 3lb 2oz / 1.42kg
- Fast fly weight: 2lb 2oz / 964g
- Packed size: 19.5" x 6" / 50 x 15cm
- Floor area: 29 ft² / 2.7 m²
- Floor length: 88" / 224cm
- Floor width: 52-42" / 132-107cm
- Head height: 40" / 102cm
- Foot height: 16" / 41cm
- Vestibule area: 9ft² / 9ft² / 0.8 m² / 0.8 m²
Construction & Materials
- Fly and floor are silicone treated proprietary ultralight double rip-stop mixed denier nylon with 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
- Tent body is proprietary ultralight double rip-stop mixed denier nylon breathable and polyester mesh
- NEW proprietary tent corner construction with unique TipLok Tent Buckle™ to streamline tent set-up by combining three functions: secure pole-tip capture, rainfly attachment and tensioner, and stake-out loop. Keyed hole buckle locks pole tip securely during setup, hinged design stabilizes structure by equalizing force between tent body, rainfly, and ground stake.
- NEW proprietary ultralight nylon double rip-stop, mixed denier fabric offers extra tear strength and puncture resistance without adding weight.
- NEW pre-bent span pole with 4-way high-volume hub design increases strength, stability, and shedding.
- All seams taped with waterproof, solvent-free polyurethane tape (No PVC or VOC's)
- DAC Featherlite NFL and NSL pole system
- Ultralight plastic clips attach tent body to pole frame
- 2 interior mesh pockets, 1 3-D bin pocket, 1 oversized mesh pocket with two cord-routing portals, 8 DAC superlight aluminum J stakes & 4 awning guylines
- Gear loft loops included
- UL2 compatible with all Big Agnes gear lofts - sold separately
Help and advice: