The updated Tensor Mat offers a light weight mat with a small pack size that boasts a new incresed R-rating.
When you’re on the trail, sleep isn’t a luxury, it’s a necessity. Getting the most from your experience in the mountains requires enough rest to be fully present, and few things are more essential for a night of rejuvenating sleep than a good pad. Built on our iconic proprietary Spaceframe™ baffle construction, Tensor™ offers quiet, supportive comfort in an ultralight package. The internal architecture provides unparalleled stability and weight distribution, using low-stretch die-cut trusses to eliminate springiness while protecting elbows and hips from poking through to the ground. A new internal layer of ultra-thin film reduces convection currents and adds R-value. Insulated versions utilize multiple layers of suspended Thermal Mirror™ metallized film, resulting in a lighter, remarkably quiet sleeping pad compared to the competition. Tensor™ now features 100% bluesign® certified, recycled 20D polyester fabrics. It comes with our Vortex™ pump sack which mates with our custom Laylow™ zero-profile valve for easy inflation and personalized comfort. If having your best adventure depends on good sleep, Tensor™ has the perfect formula.
Nemo's Tensor Regular Mummy is an extremely small and functional package. Don't let the lack of R value put you off this mat is given a temperature range down to 1-0 degrees Celsius which is impressive given the low weight and pack size.
The mat packs around the same size as a 1 litre Nalgene bottle and is quickly inflated using the included vortex pump sack. Using the sack prevents moisture getting into the mat. The mat is thick and comfortable to sleep on, I didn't sink through when laying on my side. The rectangular shape give you more room than a mummy shape and its easier to join 2 rectangular mats together. Despite the low weight the material feels durable and is quiet without the 'wrinkle' effect of other mats so wriggly sleepers have no fear.
The 2022 version has seen some updates to the fabrics that mean that it is now 100% bluesignas it uses completely recycled polyester fabrics. The inclusion of the Vortex pump sack means that it takes little time to inflate and requires not getting out of breath. Probably the biggest update is the introduction of the ultra thin film which has made an increase to the previous 1.6 R Value boosting it up to a 2.5 for no difference in weight.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Spaceframe™ baffles offer unparalleled stability and weight distribution, using low-stretch, die-cut trusses that eliminate springiness.
- A new ultra-thin film within internal architecture adds R-value.
- 100% bluesign® certified, 20D premium recycled polyester fabric.
- 3 inches of quiet and supportive cushioning without the usual “waterbed” feel.
- Insulated models leverage 2 layers of suspended Thermal Mirror™ metallized film for a lighter and remarkably quiet sleep when compared to the competition.
- Weight: 431g (excludes sotage bag)
- Packed Size: 8.0 x 3.0 in dia / 20 x 7.5 cm dia
- Product Dimensions: 72 x 20 x 3.0 in / 183 x 51 x 8 cm
- Pad Thickness: 3.0 in
- ASTM R-value: 2.5
- Gender: Unisex
- Manufacturer quoted Weight: 1 lb , 1 oz / 480 g
- Manufacturer quoted Packed Weight: 1 lb , 4 oz / 560 g
Material & Construction
- Insulation Type: Aluminized Film
- Pad Fabric: 20D 100% PCR PU Polyester
- Bluesign Certified
- Pad Shape: Mummy
- Included Accessories: Stuff Sack, Vortex Pump Sack, Repair Kit
From 2020, there is a new industry standard for measuring the R-value (level of insulation) of sleeping mats – ASTM F3340-18. This new standard is the sleeping mat equivalent to the EN rating for sleeping bags.
You can now directly compare the R-value of mats rated using the ASTM F3340-18 with confidence that is a fair and accurate comparison between mats. In simple terms, the higher the R-value, the warmer the mat.
In general terms, an R-value below 2.0 is for summer use, 2.0 to 4.0 is for cooler 3 season use and 4.0+ is for winter temperatures. This will be also be dependent on your sleeping bag, how cold you sleep etc. Please contact our customer service team if you need advice on choosing the right mat for your activity.