Mountain Equipment's Helium 250 sleeping bag is from their Helium series of bags which hit a sweetspot for trekking and backpacking, very technical with high warmth to weight ratios they are many hikers 'goto' bag.
Mountain Equipment says:
Weighing less than most bottles of water and packing down equally small, this is the perfect bag for the dedicated warm weather backpacker looking to lighten their load.
Mountain Equipment's 2022 Helium 250 Down Sleeping Bag is part of their Helium range which are highly technical, accomplished sleeping bags for backpacking and trekking. They use 700 Fill Power down and a new baffle construction technique to achieve some excellent warmth to weight ratio figures. 706grams for a +2C bag is a good ratio.
Design wise Mountain Equipment's sleeping bags are superb, the hood and footboxes are particularly well designed with multiple baffle sections to give them shape and structure. The Helium bags have a built in neck collar rather than an out and out shoulder baffle - this saves weight and is pretty good in use.
There's a DWR coating on the outer shell which is PFC free, this will give the bag some resilience to a damp environment. As an ultralight backpacker I think these bags are a superb choice – like buying IBM, back in the day.
- Reviewed by Ultralight Outdoor Gear
- Alpine Fit 2.0 improves comfort and maximises thermal efficiency
- Slanted box-wall baffles throughout
- Mid-level side seams
- 5 baffle anatomically shaped hood
- 4 baffle anatomically shaped and offset foot-box
- Full length Gemini zip baffle with 140cm zip and integrated neck collar with Lode Lock closure
- Supplied with waterproof roll-top stuff-sack and storage cube
- Regular weighs: 706g (excludes storage bags)
- Long weighs: 726g (excludes storage bags)
- Packed size: 19 x 17 x 15cm
- Comfort: 7°C / 45°F
- Comfort Limit: 2°C / 36°F
- Extreme: -12°C / 10°F
- Good Nights Sleep Guaranteed*: 1°C / 34°F
*Mountain Equipment use their own 'Good Nights Sleep Guaranteed' rating which they believe is a more accurate number for some sleeping bags and is based not just on the EN test results but on lab testing, their own use, thermal imaging and cold chamber work, along with a lot of data analysis.
Material & Construction
- 100% recycled HELIUM 20D outer shell is very light and highly breathable with PFC free DWR
- 261g of 90-10 Pure Duck Down with a minimum fill power of 700
- 100% recycled Supersoft 20D lining fabric with PFC free DWR
- 100% Polyamide outer/inner, Down fill